rear window squaking, clunking in front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear window squaking, clunking in front end

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
rear window sqeaking, clunking in front end

Ok, so I have two problems here. My first issue is a nasty popping/clunking/clicking sound coming from the front hubs. they still lock and i think they still unlock, but it is a nasty sound when i'm in 2wd. The second issue is the rear windows. they are subborned to going up and down. I think it's something to do with the window tracks. They screech and make a nasty sound. Any easy solutions for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you sure its comeing from the hubs and its not the front axle u-joints? manual or auto hubs? Does it happen all the time or only in tight corners or at certain speeds accelerating or decelerating

it sounds like it's coming from the hubs. they are automatic locking hubs, it is coming from them all the time.

yeah I would say it is your hubs i had the same problem , If you put it in 4x4 and take it out it should stop for a little while, I say change them out for a set of manuals, I went with the WARN, and I don't have any complaints with them for over 2 years now.

I also share the same squeak from my passanger rear window, I found when you lower it a little and hold one of the top corners of the glass and lower it as u hold it that the noise goes away, Im not really sure what causes it though.

I have same prob with my 4x4 driver side... from what I can read it sounds like the auto locking hub is going out. Fun! Also - I did have the transfer case "lock up" - a trip to the dealer and they were able to "un cease" it - replaced the fluid, works fine. btw, I replaced the shift motor just before that. Leason learned - use the 4 wheel drive once in a while to keep things moving.

On the rear window issue - mine would "jitter" going up or down. Finally just went to free fall. Went to a junkyard and pulled a window actuator. You'll have to pull the panel off, punch out the rivots (be carefull not to shatter the window) and remove the actuator and motor assy. Reassemble and remember to lube the track/acuator with the white grease (can't remember the name). Works great now! What happens is the grease goes away, causes binding between the white plastic guides and the track and finally the cable (with fishing weight whoha on the end) will either come undone or yack through the plastic piece it's attached to.
Hope this helps, and wish me luck on my front hubs!

Back