Low end knock/ping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low end knock/ping

shrkfan00

Reaction score
Hello all. My 94 explorer sport has some low end knock/ping. I have changed the plugs and wires. When I fill up with super this seems to help a little bit. Are there any other parts or things to look at to try and help this problem? Thanks in advance.

I would start by cleaning everything. New air filter, take the mass airflow off the airbox and hose it out with carb cleaner, a new PVC valve just for fun. My '92 makes a lifter ticking sound until it warms up a little. That's more of a light tapping sound.

Is there a knock sensor in a '94? Is there a crank position sensor?

try looking at the lower intake manifold....the bolts that hold the manifold to the heads will become loose after years of use ( mine was this way ) .i had a bad ping with mine and found that the almost all the bolts were loose ( finger loose at that ! ) cranked them back down and had no more pinging,but one thing to watch out for is when you re-torque the bolts that you may end up witha coolant leak around the front of the engine.there is a design flaw on the lower intake ...a overhang is right near the water jacket and the gasket will let go .

mine does this but it has been doing it for over a year and a half so it's sloowwww leak .....just goes past the timeing chain cover then down along side the block ....sometimes it hits the ground when it drips but not 100% of the time .

btw: yes and yes for the sensors ( knock is on top of the block and the cps is on the front of the motor near the harmonic balancer)

Back