Low level water flooding need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low level water flooding need help

Roon

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
My 97' ford explorer cant go through that deep of puddles or mud and i do not know why. When the water level goes up anywhere near the grill it instantly shuts off and has to dry out. Can someone suggest or tell me something i can do to prevent this from happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would probably be because it's sucking water in to the motor. your air box grabs air from inside the fender... Near your grill??? that's like three feet of water? how the hell is that not deep for a stock truck?

If I remember correctly, the 95-97 trucks had the air intake actually pulling air in just below the bumper and feeding it up to the air filter. If that's the case, you could go with an aftermarket cone type filter setup and ditch the airbox. That would help with stopping the hydrolocking, but you still need to worry about your axles, transmission and transfer case becoming contaminated with water. You should re-route your breather lines above the level of water you expect to be going through.

I was able to forge ahead in about 2.5-3ft of water in my 03 mountaineer many times, prolly because the 3rd gens are noticeably higher then 2nd gens. Although up to the grille on any stock vehicle is quite dangerous without setting your vehicle up with a snorkle.

If I remember correctly, the 95-97 trucks had the air intake actually pulling air in just below the bumper and feeding it up to the air filter. If that's the case, you could go with an aftermarket cone type filter setup and ditch the airbox. That would help with stopping the hydrolocking, but you still need to worry about your axles, transmission and transfer case becoming contaminated with water. You should re-route your breather lines above the level of water you expect to be going through.

do you have any instructions on how to do that because knowing my luck i would #### something up.

i think you are right with the airbox. i asked one of my friends about it because he goes through there all the time with his horrible truck thats falling apart, not even his real truck.

Really all you have to do to extend the breather lines is buy similar size tubing and fittings to hook them together, then run the lines up higher so that water can't get in them. On my last 2 Explorers, I had the front axle line and the transfer case line run up under the hood to right next to the master brake cylinder, and the rear axle line run up into the area where the gas cap is.

Here are some links for you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177396

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36637

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/water-crossing.htm

where is the airbox and breather lines located i cant find

Really all you have to do to extend the breather lines is buy similar size tubing and fittings to hook them together, then run the lines up higher so that water can't get in them. On my last 2 Explorers, I had the front axle line and the transfer case line run up under the hood to right next to the master brake cylinder, and the rear axle line run up into the area where the gas cap is.

where r the breather lines located

It depends on your year of explorer. The breather line on my front diff is located right on top of it. My rear diff line is on my axle a few inches to the left of the diff cover.

My transmission line is a small metal hose that is pointed straight down. And my transfercase line is a hose that comes out on the driver's side sort of on the top of the T-case. Then it loops up and is held in place by a metal bracket.

i really new at this i got no idea where that stuff is can someone take pictures to help guide me.

Back