Low, Low idle: got an idea? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low, Low idle: got an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one other thing I wanted to point out before you adjust this setting make sure your truck is fully warmed up, you never want to do this when the engine is cold, otherwise the settings can be way off. Also DO NOT adjust this if you have other problems with your engine, IE misses, rough idle etc... You need to fix those problems first and then set your TB up, you should not be using this to compensate for engine tuneup problems...

So the procedure should be..
1) warm up your engine, take it for a short drive or let it idle until it reaches operating temperature.
2) while the engine is running pull the plug on the IAC
3) the engine should idle at about 500 rpms
4) If it does not, adjust the throttle body stop screw until the engine reaches 500 rpms. If the engine dies plug your IAC back in and restart it, give the TB stop screw a turn in and try it again. repeat this until the engine stays running without the IAC at 500rpms
5) now check the voltages on your TPS if you had it set to .95v make sure it is still there. the adjustments to the TB will slightly change this voltage.
6) your done, now rejoice in the fact that if your IAC fails your engine will not stall on you, and that the IAC is within it's working range. :thumbsup:

since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable, is it normal for the rpms to drop about 200 when you push two power window switches at the same time? or do i have an electric problem somewhere?

Idk about that, i would check your battery or alternater. I adjusted the vavle and reset the computer and MUCHO difference. it even helped with the little rattle at idle of our lovely tensioner! was VERY easy to do. i just recomend turning the truck off so you dont cut yuor hand it you drop the wrench. let it warm up, THEN shut it off, THEN turn it back on!! Was simple!

since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable, is it normal for the rpms to drop about 200 when you push two power window switches at the same time? or do i have an electric problem somewhere?

Is it doing it when the IAC is unplugged ? if so it is totally normal.

However...

If it is doing it with the IAC plugged in, I would check and clean your IAC, if it checks out ok, then check your battery to see if it is not holding voltage, check the battery with a volt meter to see if it is around 12.5v DC. If it is less than 12v DC then you have a charging system and/or battery problem.

i had the same problem i can almost garuntee you that it is your EGR and or your EGR controler. if you dont travel long distances like over the mountains you can unplug the vacum hose connecting to your controller and that should do it.

Back