low power, surging, dies at random | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

low power, surging, dies at random

smtcapecod

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
So here's a hail mary. My 94 sport wtih 77K miles on the ticker is making me crazy. It's been surging for some time (couple thousand miles). I attributed that to a possible intake vacuum leak. However, it has grown more pronounced over time, and now the thing just up and quits running while going down the road. No sputter, just cuts out. Last two days it's died four times, and only threw one code for fuel pump ground...subsequently had wiring checked at a shop and got an all clear. It will crank right afterward and sounds like its out of time. After ten minutes or so, it usually will restart. The vehicle is also very sluggish, and intermittently you can hear a miss or a little pop of a backfire near the manifold. On my goosehunt to remedy one or both problems I've:

Replaced fuel pump, sender, filter after finding leak in fuel line.
Replaced MAF
Replaced IAC
Replaced FPR
Replaced DPFE
Replaced TPS
Replaced pressure switch for EGR, and had EGR checked
Replaced coil
Replaced plugs and wires
replaced PCV
Checked vaccu hoses and caps at intake

Any other thoughts??:( Preferably cheap ones....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your ECT (Engine Coolant Temp sensor) The one that provides signal to the PCM, not the one that supplies signal to the temp gauge. The PCM uses ECT signal data to adjust fuel inj. base pulse width, egr flow and ignition timing. It should be throwing a CEL if this is the problem though. Are you getting a CEL or any codes stored?

No CELs- except for when its having a kaput fit. No CEL prior to that, or after restart.
Also replaced mainfold pressure sensor and both coolant temp sensors. Actually, I'll have to reconfirm the latter, but I believe that I got both.

Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator?

...Do you have a CEL warning each and evertime you start your vehicle...For fun, do a self test and let's see what codes it comes up with...;)

FPR should have been on my 'Replaced' list...new a few thousand miles ago. Rechecked- not passing any fuel through vacuum line.

Not getting a check engine light at all, except for when the engine cuts out and I coast to the side of the road, which is probably due to ignition key being on while the engine..isn't.

...I would get another computer and put it in...You should have a lite each time you start your vehicle to show it is in proper working order..You should also be getting CEL's for most everything you have described...And, you should be getting stored codes with each fault...

...Either these codes are not being checked, you have/had a bad ground to the PCM, or your computer is shot...

...I have only seen this happen a couple times and once was about 120 miles from home...Not fun to diagnose...

I believe you can have a stored code in continuous memory (CM) without having a CEL but reading the KOEO codes should display all stored codes.

I believe you can have a stored code in continuous memory (CM) without having a CEL but reading the KOEO codes should display all stored codes.

...You are correct...These stored codes will show up before the problem is bad enough to throw a CEL...;)

...But you have asked him a few times if he has any stored codes, and with all the items he replaced chasing no codes at all, my money is on the computer...:dunno:

...Finding a good working used one is sometimes difficult though...

Agreed, especially 1st gen. Have to get the exact same part and firmware revision PCM

...I was thinking...:scratch:...Wouldn't you have a test procedure for a 94 in your bag of tricks???

for the PCM? I guess I'll have to look

We really need a starting point, codes need to be read, so the PCM can start a self-test cycle

I had the vehicle in a shop yesterday. He pulled two codes. One was for fuel pump ground. It makes sense to me that grounding that circuit would certainly cause the vehicle to die...why it happens on smooth roads at a constant speed is beyond me, but hey I had a Cherokee that had that problem. At any rate, chasing that the shop dropped the tank, checked terminals and the wiring harness forward. I asked if the relay could be jiggy, not sure whether they checked that. Unfortunately, I don't recall the other code. But only the two were logged after a bunch of surging and four complete cut-outs.
If I throw down for the PCM, I'll probably opt for a new one...just hate to do that if it is something else. Could it also be listed as an "Ignition Control Module", or is that different? (rockauto). What about crank position sensor, would that cause other symptoms? Must be fuel or timing....will be a drag if its a faulty fuel pump since they gigged me for full retail on that one.

Thanks for the help and advice thus far.

...Since you are getting codes, I would not suggest it was the computer...

...Your bad ground can cause a lot of problems but without the other code, it's just a guessing game...You need the code numbers...

...In the EEC-IV sub forum, there are a couple sticky's how to recieve your own codes with just a paperclip...;)

Died for good. Towed. Currently at a shop in the wrong state (not the one that I live or work in...). More to follow possibly Mon.
:-(

TUrns out the fuel pump assembly that was just replaced a couple weeks/few tens of miles ago was faulty.
But the bastud shop (a different one than did the first repair, obviously, since I was in a different state) charged me over $600 for the repair. Ridiculous.

...There have been numerous threads on similar problems but they usually involve an Autozone fuel pump...They usually last a few months though...

...This has turned into a sad story...:(

..Is there a chance of taking it back to them, under a warranty of some kind, to have them replace it with one you supply???..:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back