low pro sub install ideas?

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
I value my cargo space in the back, I go camping a lot.. I'm new to the whole audio thing.. the most I've done is install decks and speakers... never touched an amp or sub before..

I'm trying to decide which would be better, a single 10 or a single 12... and how do I know which amp to get??
I've read 10's can be punchier?.. but the 12 can be louder, and deeper... idk.. still don't know how to relate the amp ratings with the sub.. and if the deck even has much to do with picking of each..

Right now, I've just got a typical DUAL deck, with DUAL speakers wired to the deck. (Someone told me it's not nessisary to wire the speakers to the sub, but it's an option?) The difference in sound won't be worth the work?

That aside, where's the best possible spot to hide an amp at? It needs to be somewhere where it's not gonna get beat up by the seats being put up and down..... and if possible at all... somewhere to hide a sub? (probably wishful thinking, but thought I'd ask anyways..)

Any ideas? Tips? Pictures? (I looked around the sub pic thread..... wayyyyy too far from my 'low profile' idea... lol.. but those are some nice ass systems..)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want some really good bass, but a "stealth" system with a hidden amp and sub, just go for a setup using the stock amp/sub location.

Lots of Explorers came from the factory with the sub in the rear passenger side compartment. Check around the site and you can see lots of examples. What you can do is either get a factory sub enclosure, and buy an aftermarket amp and an 8" sub (or cram a 10"), or get aftermarket sub box. JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, and MTX all make boxes that will just drop in behind the interior panel. Hook up an amp and you are good to go. The amp can usually just go behind the right rear body panel with the enclosure, but some of them take up ALL the space, so you may need to mount your amp behind the left side body panel.

As far as an amp, you pretty much just need to match it to the power requirements of the sub. You don't need to spend a lot, though. You can get quality subs from Pioneer and JBL that are ~$100.

I would use the RCA outputs from your deck, if it has them. Cleaner sound.

OEM 91-94 enclosure from the junkyard.

th_106_0691.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/106_0691.jpg

Amp is under the back seat, driver side. Seat does hit the amp when down. Possible overheating when seat is down also.

th_V12_mounted.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/V12_mounted.jpg

Mine came with the baseline audio system, no premium for me... and I don't think I'm really wanting to use the stock spot... I'm stuck on 10 or 12.. (if I do 12, it'll be free) ... I think for the most part.. the sub is gonna Have to be sat in the back in my cargo area.... but that amp needs to be hidden... the overheating issue worries me though.. Seems like most people put them under the seats, some even bolt them to the floor.. but that's out of the question.. And yes, my deck has RCA plugs for the pre-amp.. I'll be using those.. (didn't know I could use anything else for the sub?)

Edit: Wait wait wait........ would it be a problem to bolt the amp to the sub box?????

You can get a shallow sub, that takes less space and is easier to put in when space is an issue.

Amps can be under seat, even bolt to the seat itself, don't know if your eX have the rear cargo compartments but you can put your amps there.

Geez that's such a nice stock enclosure. I'm still looking for one like that. The one I have now has a bunch of gaps and runs the wire in from the front. Not as good for mounting an 8".

MTX, JL, and Rockford all make boxes for a 10" sub in the stock spot. You can go with a 12 in the factory location if you make your own box and use a sub that doesn't need a whole lot of air space and doesn't have a gigantic basket or magnet.

Another common setup for those who like their cargo space is a removable/detachable box, like a wedge box with a 12 and the amp screwed onto the back. Unfortunately, being so easy to remove makes it easy to steal.

It is a MYTH that 10 inch subwoofers are punchier than larger diameter subs...also a myth that larger subs play deeper.

Edit: Wait wait wait........ would it be a problem to bolt the amp to the sub box?????

Many people do. I don't think I ever would, unless absolutely necessary. I see no reason to subject the amp to the constant vibration.

Geez that's such a nice stock enclosure. I'm still looking for one like that. The one I have now has a bunch of gaps and runs the wire in from the front. Not as good for mounting an 8".

It is fortunate that this one is the first one I ran across in the junkyard. I would have pulled whichever version, and made it work though.

Maybe I should keep an eye out for that particular one, and sell it on here
smiley_central_idea.gif

Maybe consider a shallow mount sub, and build a shallow enclosure/false floor for the cargo area...?

Alright, I've got a 12" sub and a 500W amp.. it's behind the rear seats. I ran the main power line through the paneling under the doors. Sounds good, just a bit hella loud.. need to figure out what the settings mean on the amp.. it's a Scosche amp.

One thing.. Always keep your sub covered at night if you park outside. Audio gear is like a magnet for thieves.

Here is the install that I have been working on. Keep in mind, it's not done yet. The subs are going to be recessed further, the box needs to be completely sealed up, and I'm still debating on a good place for the amps.

s1050177.jpg

how did u make it??this is wat i ant for my explo

Here is the install that I have been working on. Keep in mind, it's not done yet. The subs are going to be recessed further, the box needs to be completely sealed up, and I'm still debating on a good place for the amps.

s1050177.jpg

Haha, I was re-reading this today and was confused because I thought you were done with this at this point. Then I checked the date and realized how old it really was.

That box has come a long way in regards to "stealthiness"...

Back