Low range vs. 1st gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low range vs. 1st gear

Reaction score
City, State
Wenatchee, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I do a fair amout of driving off road, in and around the Cascade mountains of WA state where it is quite hilly and steep. It's not hardcore wheelin and I'm always on forest service or logging roads, but I encounter mud, snow, steep terrain etc.... Given that I have fairly high gears (3.55) and 30 inch tires, I prefer to use low range as opposed to 1st gear high range. I dont necessarily need the 4 wheel drive function as much as I THINK I need the low gear function. My rational is that its easier on the drivetrain, especially the tranny, when it isnt working nearly as hard, as opposed to leaving it in high range where it is straining more to move the vehicle. However, various other sources(friends, mechanics, etc) tell me that because of the torque multiplication of low range that I'm actually harder on the running gear and not to use low range unless absolutely necessary. Keep in mind I never use it on pavement or dry hardpack dirt. Who is right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use four wheel low for almost everything anything offroad except snow. The low range feature allows me to decend without smoking the brakes. I dont wheel all that often, but I am pretty sure that I can smoke a set of breaks in less than a day of mountain wheeling, or would at least have some brake failure due to overheating.

I just regeared to 4.56 ratio, I think I did it to multiply the tourqe of the engine.

I would agree there is a potential to damage certain drive train components (axles) and it will cause the engine to run higher RPMs, however there is much less wear on the clutch and stress on the transmission and differential by using lower gears (low range). The low range also allows me to drive in a more controlled fashion. I am going to keep on using low range when off roading, because that is why they put it in the truck.

You're both right and I agree with you. The engine can stand to be run a little higher in the RPM range. The tranny and clutch are whats weak in these vehicles, I do the same as both of you.

Use 4lo protect that tranny, trust me I just had to buy a brand new one.:( Of course your tranny is a little better than mine too. If your not doin any major banging and hard core rock crawling the other stuff should be safe, and just climbing steep hills is fine, thats what 4lo is for.:D Even so would you rather boy a $25 u-joint or a $2200 tranny.

I`ve found with automatics, that sometimes lo-range improves my traction. For instance I was in the snow with a work truck and got stuck the other day. Hi-range low just spun the tires, but when I put her in lo, I jumped right out of there.
Maybe it has something to do with the limited slip in the work trucks, I`m not sure. Anyone know?

Oh and I would say lo-range would be harder on things, but lugging the engine when it doesn`t have to could be hard on it and the tranny as well.
?

Cool, thanks for the reply's, sounds like were all pretty much on the same page!!!

yup use 4 low i even use it in deep snow sometimes mainly to keep me from going too fast and i feel it gives better traction

Back