• Register Today It's free!

low speed front driveline noise

ZigZag03

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
A 2008 Limited 6spd. Tranny, transfer and diffs serviced within 6 mo/5k ago with synthetic. After the truck has sat for a while (more than an hour, say), and when accelerating slowly from a stop, and with the wheel turned gently to the left, there is a tremble and an audible groan from the left front, which goes away once I get past 10-15 mph and does not seem to return until the circumstances are repeated. It does seem to be happening a bit more consistently, so no doubt it may get easier to diagnose before long, but I hoped someone might have a thought on the matter. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel Bearing would be my first choice. When turning the wheel you put more stress on that bearing and the noise become more evident!

Im not sure I agree, because its in a left turn, and the noise is left front. Also only at very slow speed, then goes away. Typically a left turn should make a bad right side bearing sound off, as the load shifts to that side. I wish i could describe it better. It feels like a tremor. and the groan almost sounds like a brake pad wear indicator, only more subtle, and they're nowhere close to touching. Something on the backing plate maybe, but I don't see anything loose. No doubt it will get worse before it gets better!

If it makes you feel better, my 08 4x4 trac has been doing this since I got it at 49k miles. It has 94k now.

It has drove me kinda crazy at time, but lately I just ignore it. I am wondering it is related to the popping my truck now makes when coming to a stop...

well coos i dunno, but i just heard mine let out a loud groan in a slow speed slight right hand turn, noise from the left front. maybe there's enough slop in that bearing to allow the wear warnings to sound off, or allow the rotor to contact the backing plate. or something in the cv joint, assuming it has one. like i said, its getting louder and more consistent, so before long i'll be able to diagnose it i'm sure. stay tuned!

I am having the same problem on my 2010 xlt 2wd and it's driving me crazy. I just hit 91k right before it started. I get a low groaning noise when accelerating from a stop, when coming to a low speed stop, when turning right (my noise is on the right front side), and when going over light bumps at low speed. It's been going on for about 4 weeks, and I can't say that it's getting any worse. After not being able to figure anything out, I took it to the mechanic who told me they couldn't find anything wrong. They either couldn't recreate the noise (only happens after a long drive) or they just couldn't find the source. Either way, I don't really feel anything in the steering wheel or pedal when I hear it, so it doesn't seem to be that serious. It's just as annoying as can be.

Please report back if you figure anything out. I'd love to know what the heck that noise is.

hey show, just as an update i've continued to drive this with no real worsening of the symptoms. its really hard even to describe. i havn't gotten the groan in a while, but still the vibration, or shudder, just for a second, as i begin to move and turn at the same time. often when backing out of a parking spot, for instance. and i don't get many long drives, as my commute is about 3 miles and if we have any real traveling to do, we take the prius! hard to argue with 52mpg...

additionally, last time the truck was in for service the tires were rotated, and while i had no issue previously, after the rotation i gained a pull to the right, which i attributed to differently worn tires in new spots, and would probably ease once the tires settled in to their new locations. but this pull has gotten worse, if anything, so i'm heading back to the shop shortly, and will put this other matter to them at the same time. so stay tuned, perhaps we'll learn something!

wrong thread. Still have issue.

Well I guess the silver lining is that it's not going to leave me stranded on the of the road somewhere. You both seem to be doing just fine.

I haven't gotten to the point of just ignoring it yet though. While looking further into what it could be last night I found this video on youtube about what a bad sway bar link sounds like. The sound is pretty darn similar and occurs under the same sort of conditions as my noise. I'm going to jack up the front of the truck this weekend and see if I can find any play in the link ends. I'll send an update if replacing them fixes the noise. Apparently they're only $20 at the advanced auto parts down the street, so why the heck not give it a try.

By the way, I've looked at my sway bar links while the truck is still on the ground, and they look just fine. No worn or cracked rubber, and no play when just using my hands. I know that doesn't really mean anything, but I figured I'd mention it. Also, the sway bar bushings look to be in pretty good shape too.

Jacked up the front right tire today and put it on a stand. I was able to isolate the noise by pushing the suspension up and down with the jack. It's definitely coming from the upper control arm bushing (the front one). Not sure how much that costs to replace, but I'm pretty sure I've reached the limits of my mechanical abilities.

At least I know what it is now.

hey show, just as an update i've continued to drive this with no real worsening of the symptoms. its really hard even to describe. i havn't gotten the groan in a while, but still the vibration, or shudder, just for a second, as i begin to move and turn at the same time. often when backing out of a parking spot, for instance

My 2008 has been doing this as long as I can remember with no worsening of the symptom. Exactly as you describe above, especially the backing up part. Very subtle, I do not even think passengers in the truck even notice it. Take if for what it is worth - I take mine on long road trips and drive frequently in the Rocky Mountains and it has not gotten any worse - but I would really like to know what this is.

its interesting, it really never shows up any other time except that initial "move and turn", and i notice it most often in reverse. as i mentioned above, i'm due for service and want to address my "pull' anyway, which i don't feel is related, so it's going in shortly, will report any revelations...

Good luck.

I took mine to the shop this Monday with intention of getting them to replace the right upper control arm front bearing. They heard the noise during the initial "move and turn" as you described, and they agreed my assessment was probably correct. However, once the had the car up on the lift and the tire off they couldn't recreate the noise, which meant they couldn't isolate the problem.

They quoted me $375 for parts and labor for replacing the control arm assembly. I asked them if they'd just do the bearing, and they said no. I was willing to pay it though, if they had confirmed it would get rid of the noise, but without being able to isolate it they said it would just be a $375 guess. So... no resolution.

show i think the difference in our particular situations is that mine is 4wd, or awd, and i think my noise is driveline related. axle, cv joint, transfer case, differantial, something of that sort. i really feel it more than hear it, more often than not. that said, i'm going to ask them to look closely at all the front end rubber. at 100k almost anything is possible. to your point, i've seen control arms with replaceable bushings, and i've seen them pre-assembled as the only option. it's an expensive chance to take i'm afraid.

Mine is 4x4. I would agree that it is somewhere in the drive line. Again, it has been doing this as long as I can remember without getting worse, and yes- more prevalent when backing up, especially going up hill in reverse (in Colorado, nothing is flat including my driveway).

as opposed to Florida which is all flat!!

Back