• Register Today It's free!

Low Watt Sub on Stock AMP

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
Today I was on a mission to silence my stock subwoofer, When I bought my mountaineer a few weeks ago I didn't realize it even had a subwoofer but after driving around I located it and also realized it was blown.

So I wanted to eliminate the stupid cracking sound so that I could have my nice...crappy stock speakrs :p:

So I went to work pulling off the plastic peice that covers the sub (what a PITA) I then took all the screws out of the subwoofer and realized...I couldn't take it out..I'm guessing theres something else holding it in from the back? either way I just wanted to make it stop working so I didn't have to hear the crappy noise in the back.

I cut the wires going to the sub and in doing so I remembered that I had a couple subwoofers laying around I bought for about $10 a piece during a discount sale. They were CHEAP.

I wasn't sure if it would even work out so I got some wire and my subs and hooked it up and wala... cheap crappy bass. BUT it sounded 10x better than the blown stock one. I found an old box laying around and just put it all together. Should work til I get up the $ for my system.

I've since then properly done the wires (not with duct tape ha) and put the sub behind the drivers seat to make believe its better than it is :rolleyes:

ssc0389.jpg

ssc0390.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd really try to find a way to cover those holes. if you havent already

its a temporary set up, I'm most likely not gonna put anymore work in it and especially not gonna put any money into it. It's simply a cheap alternative to a blown subwoofer.

Modifying the stock enclosure with a larger hole (or a spacer in the case of 95-01's) to fit an aftermarket sub works too.

Solobaric2.jpg

what size is that sub? I'm assuming you're running an aftermarket amp, where did you put it?

I was looking into doing that, but I was going to build my own box

That is my "Budget Bass" setup.

Kicker Solobaric 8" 2ohm

Amp is under the rear seat on the driver's side.
Click on image for larger view:
th_V12_mounted.jpg

nice work, simple work to keep costs simple.....theres actually a small amp right behind the molding that you can't see, and its a pain to access. I always wanted to know how strong it was.....

That is my "Budget Bass" setup.

Kicker Solobaric 8" 2ohm

Amp is under the rear seat on the driver's side.
Click on image for larger view:
th_V12_mounted.jpg

I like that setup, I have to ask...how hard is it to pull off that side panel? Just the speaker grill itself was a pain.

nice work, simple work to keep costs simple.....theres actually a small amp right behind the molding that you can't see, and its a pain to access. I always wanted to know how strong it was.....

I was told it was about 100amps. Not enough to push much of anything, (except my cheapo subs) If I blow it.. I haven't lost anything. Plus I don't see much use for it for anything else

I like that setup, I have to ask...how hard is it to pull off that side panel? Just the speaker grill itself was a pain.

no its not too hard. just 6 or so plastic pins and a few screws. the only "difficult" part is the seat belt bolt. but you should be able to use a very large allen wrench. (assuming first and second gens still use the same bolt)

while pics are being tossed around...heres mine.
(please excuse the cell phone quality, the tan around the sub is carpet.)
i took out the whole stock box and amps and made a fibreglass box the whole length of the panel.
IMG01200.jpg

Red your's is exactly what I'm hoping to do. Except I've never fiberglassed so I'm stuck with trying to build a wooden box unless I can find someone I can pay to build one for me.

What I'm trying to figure out is how you take out the panel when it sits under that flap thats attached to the cargo area that makes everything level when you lay the seat down.

What I'm trying to figure out is how you take out the panel when it sits under that flap thats attached to the cargo area that makes everything level when you lay the seat down.

the sheet metal flap that is behind the back seats?
take a pic and post it.

cargo piece is what I'm talking about. it lays down with the seat

dsc0380e.jpg

well, if you keep the seat down but pick up the cargo piece you can see it is being held on with a few sheet metal screws. the look like they are bout 8 or 10mm.
atleast on my 93 X thats how it is held on. along with a tension spring that runs along it.

seat1.jpg

in the blue is the screws and they run in the direction the arrow is. and the yellow is the tension spring. but you may think twice about taking off the cargo piece because putting it back on may be a PITA with tension springs.
why do you need to take it off anyway?

I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, but there is a bolt into the subs magnet from the back. I pulled my stock sub and replaced it with an 8" Swiss Audio. I am still using the stock amp with an aftermarket HU and it sounds pretty good. People cant believe so much bass can come from an 8 in the stock box.

You shouldn't have to... I just left it in place when I did fibreglass work. If you can detach the pannel by taking all the plastic pins and screws out you will be able to move it around and mess with it untill it slides out. I'm not a fan of doing more work then you have to, but if you got the time to...then sure go for it.
Oh almost forgot... There are also 2 or 3 screws under the carpet and padding you will have to take out. That us if you havnt already taken out the panel.

I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, but there is a bolt into the subs magnet from the back. I pulled my stock sub and replaced it with an 8" Swiss Audio. I am still using the stock amp with an aftermarket HU and it sounds pretty good. People cant believe so much bass can come from an 8 in the stock box.

How did you get a stock amp to work with an aftermarket HU?

Well... Walmart sells plastic harness adapters for basic systems for many fords. But for the JBL system it uses a different plug, it's about a 3/4 inch square with 8 or so small prongs inside. And after my first HU was stolen they took that with them. So I spent 2 days on the phone tracking down a new one. I finally found one at a custom car audio shop here in OK and it had a price rag of 25 bucks. Thus, I baught it. Sure does beat buying all new amps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wally World, huh? Cool. I'll go check mine out today.

All I ever hear from radio dudes is that it can't be done. I'm no expert but it seems to me that if you can get power and sound to the amp the sub will work with any thing you put in there.

Back