Lowering a '99 X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering a '99 X

MarineSNiper217

Reaction score
Hey, I know this isnt an actual Technician question, but I wasnt sure where else to ask because there are so many options... BUT, I was looking to lower my 1999 Explorer XLT, 4x4 AWD. Its a 4.0L V6, and I have seen kits and all for lowering like 2in, but im looking to slam it about 4 or so... How do I do this? Because I have seen it done before on multiple Ex's but I never thought about doing it to mine untill now... Is there a specific kit? Do I need to adjust things? Add things? I can do pretty much anything to it myself...unless I need a kit, so any answers I would love! :exp:

well first off u should do a search. dont know if u did that or not. but i got 3 inches out of it by blocking it in the rear and slamming the torsion bars all the way down. i dont know if u could really do alot of slamming with the 4x4 without throwin your CV axles into a really bad angle.

if you go past 2.5" on the front in a 4x4/awd you'll hear clicking noises since the CV joints are so short and the angle they are bent up at is so great. It'll wear at a rapid rate but wont get any audible grinding noises below about 60mph. Only bad thing about removing (dangerous since the adjuster blocks can slip) or unthreading bolts is that it'll ruin the ride since spring tension went down due to lack of preload. Best is buy lowering keyways and crank the adjuster bolts up, or if you feel like having a MacGyver day flip the keyways and re machine the locating "dimples". Aftermarket upper arm camcentric washers can barely adjust to 2-2.5" of drop
Even if you had a 2WD model anything past 3" requires lots of upgrades such as shocks, cutting, control arms, bump stops, endlinks etc etc etc ummm.... etc

Back