Magnaflow or Flowmaster ?

rgomez

Reaction score
Hi Pals:
I am planning to buy this weekend a
Magnaflow Cat-back System for my 99
Eddie Bauer V6 4.0L SOHC directly
($375).

I really love borla´s catback systems but they don´t have it for my model. (for some guys the sound is too deep and loud)
Gibson and Edelbrock are good choices too but they don´t have it neither. (Good sound and quality but just few applications)

Finally, I heard about Magnaflow and Flowmaster and I sent them some mails
asking for some information about their product and their application data.

Magnaflow really surprised me when they respond me the next day with a clear
and precise information.

Jim Cates
Direct Sales Manager
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust
1-800-959-9226 xt 4500

FlowMaster never respond me...

After reading the experience of some 4x4 Pals in the message board I consider the possibility of buying the Magnaflow system. The reasons: Known Brand, Fair Price, "Good Sound", and the HAVE THE SYSTEM for my explorer model.

Any comments?

Am I going in the right way?

Is this a good decision?

Is Maganflow the best choice?

Thanks

Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robert,
if you're looking for a deep loud sound then a flowmaster would be the way to go. keep in mind in that you'll always hear it. for the best performance and a good mello deep tone go with a Bullet by bullet performance exhaust, its a strait through instead of chambered like the flow master.

rgomez,
I own a 94 Explorer that I have the Flowmaster II Cat-Back system on. If you are installing the muffler yourself, I'd reccomend having a torch on hand as well as muffler spreaders. I had a hell of a time getting my pipes to fit correctly. We had to heat the inlet of the muffler and force the pipe into it. Then the outlet pipe didn't fit either and we had to do the same thing. Not to mention that before we installed the outlet pipe we had to cut the pipe down in order for it to fit!! That and the stock hanger did not work. Tons of problems... Then after about 9 months of having the pipe on my truck I had the clamps come loose and had to pay to get the damn thing welded together!!

What I'd reccomend you doing is to just pay the money to have someone weld it up and install it. That way if something doesn't fit then they get to deal with it. Not to mention that if it comes loose then you just simply take it back and have them fix it..

Magnaflow sounds like a decent company. I'd try and find someone who has installed there pipe and see whether or not they say they had problems then go from there.

Performance and sound wise I love my Flowmaster but it was a pain in the ass to install... Hope this helps...

Happy Wheelin',

Joe Dead Link Removed
94 Explorer XLT
Superlift 4" suspension lift
33X10.50 BFG All Terrain KO's
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
Flowmaster II Cat-Back System
KKM Tru-Rev Intake
Hillbilly Tow Hooks(Chains bolted to the frame)
Hi-Lift Jack

I got the Flowmaster. I like the sound. It rumbles when you accelerate and mellows quites down when cruising. Flowmaster has the delta design unlike the Z design. I have mine installed for $65.

Flowmasters seem to have the best sound, but for what I hear, the best combination of power and sound is the Mgnaflow. Magnaflow has a straight through, not a chambered muffler.

I'm gettiing the Magnaflow myself, but I recomend you getting a K&N injection Performance kit, this combined with the new muffler will really give you a noticeable difference.

Good luck!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

Thanks for your advice...

Felsmann:

I have just ordered my magnaflow cat-back
system today.

I have installed a K&N filter charger and
a Superchip Module for 1 month and I really
like the performance.