• Register Today It's free!

Dynamax or Flowmaster?

ShadowsFall89

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando. FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 2wd
I'm looking for a new exaust system for my '94 and I don't know what's going to be louder and sound better. The Dynamax system on summit is 99$ and the flowmaster force II is 179$. I can't decide if the flowmaster is worth the extra cash. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't get either. Pick the muffler you want, and take it to an exhaust shop and have them put it new tubing from the cat back with your muffler. It'll be much better than the kit. As far as mufflers go, if you're mainly looking for loudness and tone, go with a Flowmaster, preferrably an Original or Super 40.

I've had 2 Force II setup's. No loud at all. They were fine for my tastes.

The Force II sounds super close to stock. I could barely tell there was an aftermarket muffler on there.

Flowmaster sucks. The dynomax ultra flo is on my truck and sounds nice. Very deep, almost V-8 ish. Trust me. I've had Dynomaxs on three vehicles including my truck and they have performed very well. I agree with j602 have a shop bend up your pipes. They usually will do a nice job and its a better fit.

MustangShane said:
Flowmaster sucks. The dynomax ultra flo is on my truck and sounds nice. Very deep, almost V-8 ish. Trust me. I've had Dynomaxs on three vehicles including my truck and they have performed very well. I agree with j602 have a shop bend up your pipes. They usually will do a nice job and its a better fit.

never tried Dynomax but my series 40 flowmaster sounds exactly how he describes his dynomax to sound.

go with whatever is cheaper.

There is a dynomax on the truck i have now, I had a magnaflo on my old X and a flowmaster on an old ranger all with the 4.0. The dynomax sounds the best to me as mentioned above rumbles like a V8. Magnaflo IMO was the best performance and the flowmaster 40 sounded good but didn't sound like the dynomax and didn't perform like the magnaflo.

I've seen flow tests where the Dynomax outflows the Flowmaster by a huge margin. Dynomax seems to be the best choice performance-wise.

I bought the Dynomax from Summit. I like it okay, it sounds nearly stock. There is a deffinate improvement over stock. If I were to do it again thought, I would buy a Dynomax Ultra Flo and have the shop bend the pipes. The cat back o bought didn't even have mandrel bends. So it's the same as having a shop press bend it. I have used dynomax almost exclusively on all of my vehicles since I have been driving. I like the sound and performance, and they don't blow out (common in an RX7).
Get a 2.5" ultra flo and a new cat, then have the shop bend and weld everything for you. Everything should cost no more then $200. Go to a reputible shop. not some shade tree welder that bought a shack and turned it into a muffler shop. Don't forget te new cat from summit. the 2.5" universal is I think $60.

Don't get me wrong, the Flowmaster cat-back is extremely nice. It's mandrel bent and all the bends are super smooth, it's just that I feel a custom bent system from an exhaust shop would be better.

I think it was the Ultra Flo SS that pretty much outflowed everything it was tested against.

get a DynoFlomax :)

i just checked summit, dynomax is cheaper than flowmaster. And like everyone else said, it sounds better.

what about ravin i heard they are really good

there are LOTS of good mufflers out there, Borla is great too. I mean just pick one and run it :)

I just put a Dynomax on my '94 I got the cat-back for about $119, so $99 sounds like a good deal. I wasn't looking for performance or sound-- I just needed a new muffler because mine had a big hole in it. I think it performs fine although I didn't notice any performance gain. It took about 20 minutes to install and if I saved $80-$100 over having a shop do it, that's a major bonus. The fit was good, but I did have to put one of those screw-type hose clamps on the rear-most hanger mount to stop the pipe from sliding into contact with the rear stabilizer linkage. That was probably necessary because I used my old hangers and they're getting a little loose.

No one mentioned resonators? You can install a resonator on the flowmaster for a quieter sound... personally i like the classic flowmaster sound.. its what I run. Ive heard the same engine with borla and dyno, they sound good as well... but if you want the muscle car sound, definitely flowmaster :D

Magnaflow, single in dual side out, great sound, great performance

Flowmasters sound good out the tail pipe yes, but the downside cabin noise. Dynomax has a good sound quality and are quiet inside the vehicle. magna flow kind of a balance between flows and dyno's. someone mentioned raven's CRAP. there are several other options exhaust shops may carry one called a Flo Pro similar to a flowmaster there is also another one called an Excelerator but to me its a toss up between the dynomax and the excelerator. I have had all of these mufflers on my mustang at one point or another and have installed hundreds of them on other peoples cars/trucks. in my honest opinion I like the excelerator mufflers the most grat sound and quiet inside the car, kind of a slight rumble at idle but will really roar when ya step on the gas.

I like cabin noise. That's the only way many of us will even hear our exhausts, I don't let people drive my X. Always had Flowmaster and always been happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a header air leak i think but nothing to worry about at the moment i will replace the headers soon i just dont have the money right now. i would like some more power due to towing my car from ny to tx is there anything that is kinda cheap to do like a y pipe and a highflow cat and a muffler iam not worried about the sound noting to loud but power is what iam looking at thanx

Back