Maintenance costs on 2006 Explorer V-8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance costs on 2006 Explorer V-8

Exman 06

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer V-8
I've owned a 2006 Explorer V-8, Eddie Bauer trim, fully loaded with a tow package since 2008. I purchased it when it came off a 2-year lease with 13,000 miles on it for $23,000 in the spring of 08 when gas prices were over $4.00 a gallon. It replaced my wife's totaled 1997 Land Cruiser (fortunately no one was hurt). We live in Massachusetts.

The vehicle has 105,000 miles on it, and for much of its life it has served as my wife's daily driver on a very short commute to work and also with lots of stop-and-go driving to kids' activities around town. Not easy miles. We occasionally take long trips, and recently on regular trips to hockey rinks in eastern MA and southern NH.

I've really loved the vehicle since my initial test drive in 2008. It's solid, highly reliable and very comfortable with a ride-like quality on the highway akin to high-end European luxury vehicles. On many occasions, I told my wife that it's among the best vehicles I've owned (and I've owned many good ones.). The car still drives as if it is new.

Today, I recently went through the repairs bills and, best I can tell, I've spent about $6400 to maintain this vehicles, most of the work done by a dealer. This includes:
  • Reprogramming transmission codes shortly after purchase due to skip
  • Plugs and Wires at about 90k miles (engine was skipping)
  • Brake pads and rotors on all 4 wheels TWICE
  • Replacement of emergency brake as it had become rusted and frozen
  • Various suspension related repairs (bushings, tie-rod ends, seals, etc.)
  • Front L and R wheel bearings replaced at 104k miles
  • One battery, one set of tires, 2-3 front-end alignments
  • Repair of back seat belt
  • Regular 3,000 mile oil changes
So in essence, I've driven the vehicle for 8 years and it's cost me about $800 a year to maintain it, not counting gas and insurance. Is this in line with others' experiences?

We bought the exact same vehicle, '06, EB, 4x4, V8, four years ago with about 80K. Sounds like you mostly just replaced normal wear items for the most part. Not bad at all. Now at 105K, I've done the left front bearing, only because of speed sensor, 3rd row seat motor ghetto fix, frozen rear wiper bushing, plugs... Ugh! Radiator was also fun thanks to transmission line connectors. This spring did rear brake pads, rotors & calipers, front pads, cat back exhaust, and stabilizer links all around. In a few hours I'll be putting in a lower right ball joint. Can't complain, it's a ten year old truck!

Speaking of being a truck, I love the quiet ride, but it does have a truck suspension, and feels like it. I'm used to Lincoln & Mercury Panther chassis cars, which are not only quiet, but SMOOTH! If my wife would go for it, I'd swap her truck for the same year Town Car in a heart beat. Much easier to work on, better mileage, and just generally more reliable. However, she would prefer a mini van, so she can sit up higher. I'll be damned if I'll ever buy a FWD anything, so the 4th gen Explorer is a good compromise.

Enjoy it, it's the last of a rugged breed.

Back