Maintenance Expectations 150k - 200k 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance Expectations 150k - 200k 4.0

Canyonero!

Reaction score
City, State
Midland, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Thank you in advance for all of the help this forum has provided to me over the years with my Explorer! I'm a recent member (already posted on "new member" forum). I am trying to budget what my maintenance costs will be in the next 50k miles for my Explorer to see if now is a good time to part ways with it before I get hit with several costly repairs.

Here is what I have: 2008 Eddie Bauer, 4x2 4.0 with 150,000 miles, stock. I'm the second owner, purchased it in 2011 with 20,000 miles on it. 2011-2016 it lived in Houston with a mix of city & highway driving (20k - 110k miles) . 2016 - present it lives in Midland, TX with 90% highway usage.

What's been replaced/fixed: @65k miles - Harmonic balancer and transmission rebuilt (I believe the transmission shop told me they rebuilt it in a way that fixed the factory flaw in the 5r55 transmission. @100k new plugs, wires, shocks, fuel filter. @135k new radiator, thermostat & housing, new coolant. Oil changes every 6,000 miles using fram filters with convention oil (not synthetic blend as recommended in the manual). Admitting to this in writing I feel like a monster! I corrected this sin only recently (145k miles) by switching to Pennzoil platinum full synthetic & Motorcraft 820-S filter.

Current issues: None! I don't have any chain rattle, the A/C has never gone out, I'm still on the original brake pads and rotors. No oil leaks or smoke. Cosmetically in great shape, minor hail damage, garage kept, leather, sunroof, Sync. I've always managed 18 mpg city/21mpg highway.

My concern is that several items might fail between now (150k miles) and 200k miles. Here are some of the items that I wouldn't be surprised if they failed: water pump, A/C compressor, power steering pump, wheel bearings, water pump, brake pads, etc. I'm an amateur shade tree mechanic and can do some stuff myself (brakes, thermostat housing, front bearings) but I'm not confident I could replace many of these yet-to-fail big ticket items.

I understand you don't have a crystal ball, but any feedback or personal anecdotes are much appreciated. I've always driven my Explorer gently and fixed things promptly. I drive long distances across desolate desert and need to keep it reliable for 5-11 hour road trips which I take monthly. If I can safely assume that I will need to spend roughly $5,000 over the next 50k miles, I might just part ways while resale is still decent ($5,000 via KBB?) and buy that used low-mileage Fiesta SFE Ecoboost I've been thinking about!

I've included a photo from Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP) where I like to "Explore" 1-2 times a year.

explorer photo2.jpg

The power steering fluid, brake fluid, and rear end fluid are probably in need of replacement with that many miles on the odometer.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned yet the possible timing failure. I hope that's not going to happen to you but if it does, the engine comes out .....

Back