• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance

Town

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Lincoln Town Car
My son has just purchased a 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the V8. It has 149,700 kilometers (93,000 miles) and no maintenance records. The engine oil was just changed and we replaced the brake pads and rotors for the safety certificate. Had the dealer service the transmission (6r60) and program a couple of extra chipped keys.

Since we have 2 Taurus transmitters, does anyone know if the remote lock transmitter from a 2000 Taurus will work with the Explorer transmitter/DDM (drivers door module)?

We plan on changing:
1. the Advance Trac 2 speed transfer case oil;
2. the front and rear diff oil but Ford spec is 75W140 for rear and 80w90 for the front. Anyone know why the different spec?
3. coolant is yellow and clear but original fill is good for 6 years and time is almost up so planning on a straight drain and fill with Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant (G05 formula) and distilled water or de-ionized water;
4. fuel filter;
5. air filter;
6. brake fluid;
7. Spark plugs will need changing and I have read about those horror stories here so some preparations needed in getting 9/16 hex socket and Motorcraft carbon softner and using top tier gas (Esso, Shell etc in Canada) to minimize carbon deposits on the spark plug end, and decide on what new plugs to install.

We plan on checking:
1. serpentine belt;

Any other recommendations?

Sounds about like what I did to mine when I got it at around the same mileage. I made it to 113k reasonably trouble free. One other thing to look at is bearings. If they haven't been done recently on that truck it likely won't be long before you'll need to do them.

Thanks. I have not heard any sound from the bearings yet.

Back