Maintenance on Ignition Switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance on Ignition Switch?

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Is there anytype of maintenance that can be done on the ignition switch? Mine has started to stick. For instance, when I take the key out, the dinging will continue like my key is still in the ignition, until I wiggle the ignition switch. Then the dinging will stop. Also, I can turn the ignition switch between an 1/8 and a 1/4 of a turn without the key in. Will a spray of WD-40 hurt anything? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WD-40 won't hurt anything, but it sounds like the tumbler is shot. They aren't very expensive to replace.

Mine has the same problem. You can actually pull the key out about 1/8 of a turn before where you are supposed to, which makes it difficult to get the key back in. Dealer mentioned something about tumblers also, but it didn't sound cheap.

Is this a DIY project, Mike? Can you elaborate, please?

Thanks.

Mine too has the same problem and if I turn the ignition off, and take out the keys the chime sounds as if the lights are on or the key is in the ignition, so please help us, is this rebuild a do it yourself deal or how much it will cost for some one to repair it????

Sounds like we all have the same problem. More description for clarification:

It seems to be only the "Outer Collar" that turns, if that makes sense.

That's it, same here...I once had a Dodge Spirit and the same happend and I bought the whole ignition module for about $50.00 and I did it myself but for the explorer I haven't checked....

Back