major coolant leak at rear of engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

major coolant leak at rear of engine

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
i am not so familiar with these engines...I found a steady stream of coolant spraying the firewall from somewhere around the intake. I found a sensor that seemed loose and took it off only to find it looks like a position sensor. Looking up the part Bosch#0273008002 shows it as a phase sensor. It cant be the cause of my leak, i doesnt seem to be in contact with coolant. However the leak seems to be close to there. I have seen lower intakes leak and by the location of the source it could be that, however i have never seen a stream of coolant spraying out of a a joint between block and intake or intake and cyl. head. I did take the upper intake off in order to get this far. Is there a hose back there i can check b4 i take the lower intake off? I sure as hell do not want to get into the cyl. head on a 230k mile engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only coolant path besides inside the engine is out from the hoses through the radiator and the heater core. Sometimes the hose clamps on the heater core at the firewall get old and don't seal as good, or if your cooling system has the plastic bypass valve in-line with the heater core, that makes for even more hose connections and even more possibilities for coolant leaks.

If you're sure it's coming from the block and not anywhere else, it's either a blown head or lower intake gasket, or a serious crack. I'd guess blown gasket at best since the cracks the heads get seem to be limited to internally, between the cylinders.

my 99 did this on the back of the passenger side by the lower intake,,

i had to remove all the upper and lower intake and do all new gaskets,,
you can see where the gasket lets go here,,
195833_10150495789575165_1126161_n.jpg

Did it on my 94, and on my wifes 92. Both needed lower intake gaskets, and both had loose lower intake bolts. The engine I put in the lifted 92 I have had intake gaskets that leaked so bad when you filled the radiator, it came right back out the engine. Gonna need to pop that lower intake off and put gaskets on it.

frost plugs are on the side, not near the back,

My explorer has a freeze plug on the front of each head, and I'm 99% sure there's one on the back, although I've never climbed back there to look. Just throwing it out there.

thank you all for the posts, i doubt it is a freeze plug since they are on the and of then cyl heads(generally) and on the sides of the block. They were my 1st suspicion also. Thanks coco and corkey. I had already decided to take the lower intake off, just cant do it till nxt weekend but i needed some hope it wasnt the heads gaskets. Preciate yall.

Corkey, the 2nd pic is the sealing surface on the block to the lower intake right? ty

yes it is , that was taken after the intake sections and valve covers were removed,,
it's on the rear passenger side,, back by the firewall,,

you could tell it was not sealed there

thanks, yea now that i look at your pic i can seen the coolant passage on the intake and the failed seal. I'm hoping thats what i will run into when i pop this intake off. I guess shopping list is going to have to include Upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, permatex and a good pain killer for my back as im not used to leaning over an engine anymore.

Good answers but, my daughters 02 4.0 mountaineer has a metal to rubber hose between oil filter and pan that is leaking antifreeze. My question is, what is its proper name so I can get a replacement.

well you responded to a 7 year old thread that is talking about the OHV poushrod 4.0 v6
Your 02 has the SOHC v6

Metal to rubber hose between oil pan and oil filter? Do you have a picture?

Back