Major Discovery for OBD-II Scans!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major Discovery for OBD-II Scans!!!!

BustedKnuckles24

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Ltd
Guys, I've been looking for a DIY solution to my transmission dilemma. My transmission was acting up, O/D light would occasionally flash, but my code readers would not find transmission codes. I have an Innova CAN ODB-II code reader and the Torque app for android using an ELM-327 adapter purchased online. Neither would pull transmission codes. Well, after hitting Google with many different search terms, I finally found my solution!!!!

The website, www.forscan.org, is a site for an open source scan tool software for Ford, Mazda, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles. It loads up on Windows-based machines (XP, Vista, 7, & 8) and uses an ELM 327 adapter, either USB or Blue-tooth. Since I have a Blue-tooth ELM 327, I just needed to get a Blue-tooth adapter for my laptop, Fry's Electronics for $7. It took me 25 minutes to get the ELM 327 to talk to my laptop, but once it did, the FORScan software took over ......

And. It. Gave. Me. EVERYTHING!!!!!! It read modules I didn't know existed on this truck! Check out the screen capture.
GywmmvIQ8xusG2Qs_Hyet_UT7icZKAUSj5Q=w268-h207-p-no.jpg
QLc2ywSXlRFgpZZXk-YYgddQFL6vz8MQBRk=w282-h218-p-no.jpg

It gave me the transmission codes I was craving and so much more! And, it also gives a detailed description of the codes!
RwhNhk-H170E0eWRdG2D63tLROtnyAZ_a-s=w268-h207-p-no.jpg

Digging further, found out it allows for sensor monitoring and data logging!
_mEpyNOQJy5-IjNoqhBsVwCVi7e_fTmhQGI=w253-h195-p-no.jpg

77FY15vxu73vLfYYJEugxBOizjM5nLDtuyU=w253-h195-p-no.jpg

h-8iwXnQHG0HcEx8or7UBNt05Q6BMKTqLG4=w253-h195-p-no.jpg

It reads the vehicle info and automatically sets up a profile to keep multiple vehicle data separated.
PIr90_iukpP2hjo8WktwcB1TPx9_c5R1Drw=w449-h218-p-no.jpg

Guys, this is major! The capabilities now available through this thing is incredible! I just needed to let you all know. If you don't already have an ELM 327, they are all over eBay, Amazon, DX.com, and other sources.
Zyav_xxU5CXz5XJ4M3Z6X_wTW1LkkVldsEQ=w402-h182-p-no.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

!!!

I will be trying this out this weekend and will report back.
Been feeling weird transmission issues with no codes able to be pulled on my non-Torque iphone app.

Thanks for sharing!

Oh yea, I was blown away with Forscan when I first tried it.

Absolutely amazing!

Thanks for this post! I am going to try this out to see if I can diagnose my current issue. Do you know if this will work on a 97 f250 powerstroke? We have a flashing OD light on it.

I have a Bluetooth ELM-327 and I can't get it to read from the port on my 96 Ex with any android app.. Any recommendations?

Thanks for sharing. I've always wanted a code reader but honestly didn't care to spring nearly $100 for one so long as I could go to AZ or Advance and have them read it for free. This appears to do way more than a simple code reader... for maybe 20 bucks. I didn't know they were out there so thank you for posting this. I'll be picking up one with a USB cord pretty soon.

Very Cool, now all I need is something for OBD-I

how do you connect the bluetooth adapter to your laptop ? and where can you get one ?

My laptop needed a bluetooth adapter, but I found a USB one at Fry's Electronics for $7. It self-configured the drivers on my XP system. I needed to plug in my ELM327 to my truck to activate it, sync it with my laptop, then configure it to read as a COM port. Then, FORScan took over. Best Buy, Brandsmart, even Walmart all have bluetooth adapters.

I don't know if it works with Powerstroke, but if it is OBD-II, it probably does.

Back