OBD II Scanner for under $20 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD II Scanner for under $20

This is a great thread ABOUT MAKING AN INEXPENSIVE OBDII SCANNER. If you have an issue with a vehicle, please start a new thread rather than hijack this one. There are plenty of people willing to help.

I own two Fords, I want to make up one of these systems, but I don't have a smart phone, or a blue tooth computer. Yes, my 'tracphone' is Bluetooth, but I want a bigger screen. I was thinking I'd get the connector with the cord to a USB port connection on the laptop. The cost at Amazon is about $12 - 20 -- I've already downloaded the software, so if I get the inexpensive connector, it will work -- right?

PS -- I've linked this to the F150 forum. Here's a link to that forum: http://www.f150forum.com/f2/link-discussion-making-obdii-scanner-293092/

Update: couldn't wait, went ahead and ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9XH1NO/ref=pd_ys_hud_orders?tag=viglink20460-20#customerReviews

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya know--it's cheap enough for a USB ELM adapter that I might go the Windows laptop route rather than wait for FORscan to develop and test an Android version. If they're a bunch of Apple fan-boys it could take months to make an Android version available...

Remember guys these don't JUST come in bluetooth, mine uses WIFI.

You simply plug it in, find the network on your laptop (or whatever) and then modify your network settings to match the IP and everything that the ELM devices tells you to.

For mine with windows 7 I go to wireless network connection settings, properties, internet protocol version 4, properties, and input something like 192.168.0.10 for the IP and 192.168.0.1 for the default gateway (may have listed those backwards, the gateway may end in 10 idr). Figured after suggesting the wifi adaptor I'd put in this small how to since it's mildly confusing and I figured SOMEONE would ask ;).

Also remember that WIFI, bluetooth, and the cable all communicate 100-1000 times faster than your computers can-bus system does, and so all of these will work at the same speed and none is "better" than the other.

Code reader for 2002 Sport

I have just "reacquired" my son's 2002 Explorer Sport 2 dr. and am beginning repairs and restoration to give it to my grandson. I am also new to this forum (and to "forums" in general), so please forgive any improprieties.
I see that this thread is a little old, and so wanted to ask: What has been determined to be the most thorough way to read the codes from the 4 liter engine in these vehicles? I have both an iPhone and an iPad, and a laptop, though I don't normally bring the latter home from work. Thanks for your help!

Many thanks for your response, and especially for supplying the link. Given that my Apple devices are usually closer at hand, I had gone on and ordered the "most popular" on Amazon, the Etekcity V2.1 wireless one, and a short extension cable, as I doubt this particular reader will fit into the available space in the plastic under the steering wheel. If these don't perform well, will circle back for your recommendation. -NOLA

I buy everything on Ebey, but I did not have the time to wait I needed one then.. Harbor freight wanted $49 for what I could get one on Ebey for $6 Exact same one... I ended up buying one at a pawn shop, I paid $80, but it was a High end one (snap on) Then I seen that you did not have to have a "Special computer" any laptop, tablet or even smart phone can work... all you need is the OBD2 to connect to the car and usb end for your device or get the OBD2 with bluetooth (watch it, China has some junk that does NOT work) then download software and boom some are free some costs...
Still when you are able to connect to a laptop skies the limit, with right software you can even tweak (not recommended) your ride

Back