making off the floor storage in the rear? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

making off the floor storage in the rear?

I dont think its the size of the picture pixel wise, its the size of the file....

Just keep making it smaller and use more compression till it works! Thats what I do! hahaha.
I was thinking just a set of dividers would work, not a full box, with a net over the top to keep it all in place in those off camber situations...b ut then I think alot of things and only have time for some of them! It took me almost 2 years to install the damn Explorer cargo hooks I got at the junk yard, the BII never came with any tie downs in the cargo area...

My spare takes up toooo much room back there but thats a whole other project :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
I dont think its the size of the picture pixel wise, its the size of the file....Just keep making it smaller and use more compression till it works! Thats what I do!
How exactly do you compress it? Resizing it is not a problem. I use Infran View and Photoshop 7.0 and I can't seem to find anything that says compressing a picture. Thanks. Sorry for the off topic Question.

410, I would love to use shocks to hold it open, but I've had a VERY difficult time trying to find some that are so week.... even the weakest ones I could find at Autozone would still be too strong.
And I always have that jack handle with me, for my floor jack I carry (haha). And if the handle's in use, I use what God gave me, my head. :D

--Ryan

Carfreak, I dont think its the stiffness of the lift, its the placement.
The shocks simply cannot push out once the lid is closed past a certain point, like the lift gate on my BII, its the angle of the dangle so to speak :)

You have to lift the lid that little bit to get it to the point where they can push it up...
But I am just guessing here, I have never tried. A simple prop rod could be made easily too, just like older cars have on the hood.

Xfactor:
I have been able to do it from work with Wondows pictire editer. At home I use Corel Photopaint and Corel Draw, very similar to Photoshop. When you export the piccture you can choose the size and amount of compression.

yeah, that's a good point 410, my only problem though is that I would have to find that angle perfectly, so that when it is closed and locked, it the shocks don't put too much pressure on the lid. I've still got some searchin to do. But I thank youu for bringing up that angle info, I never thought of that before.

--Ryan

OK, i think i'm sold. I sort of wanted something up high, but I think you guys are right with the centre of gravity thing. And with the X-terra's (where i got the idea) they have a steped roof, and it lends it self to using a shelf type of storage. I think i'll buy some pre-fabricated shelves and see if i can modify them to fit in the truck.

Positive Vibes said:
Jefe how the hell do you find time to do all this stuff and do it right??? :rolleyes:
If I'm not working or wheeling I'm working on my truck. I spend anywhere from 4-20 hrs a week working on it. Yeah, I have no life :rolleyes:

Anyway, thats the second design. The first was pretty cool also. It consisted of the tire on the floor, and a shelf the same height as the tire, surrounding the tire. On either side was a toolbox that latched into place, and allowing them to be opened while in the vehicle. But two toolboxes was not enough, so I bought a third and started straping it to the top of the tire. . that got annoying fast. I knew the tire would eventually go on the bumper so I designed the second, and lucked out that all three toolboxes fit just right side by side.

Jefe, you are not alone.
I work ALOT of hours at this new job, including the last 3 weekends!
and I still make time to do stuff on my truck every week, she always "needs" something!

hahaha but you gotta make time for the girlfriend, friends, sports, video games, and outdoors, you only live once!

Hey guys, i've given this some more though, and i think all i need is a tempary way of keeping the stuff i have on the floor inthe rear, off the floor, i'm thinking of simply hanging the bin from the cileing (somehow) or building some sort of permanent net, that i can occasionally use to secure small things...I also need a good place to keep my extra fuel bin/container. I don't have a spare, so i'm going to see if i can rig something up, but then of couse there's the problem of if it's stuck under the truck, it's super hard to get at...ahhh...

jasonb said:
i've done this. i have a second section that can make the whole thing flat over the rear seats but i have yet to use it. i keep a lot of crap in there and i was tired of not having room and stuff sliding all over the place. its bolted through the floor and the top also hinges open. i would think one that is on the roof would be harder to get stuff from, especially in a lifted vehicle. would look cool, but it seems impractical.

do you have any more pics of your box? how well do the drawers slid?

Because i need more room and i really like your box and if anyone has anything about the same PLEASE post a photo, thanks :D

Back