Man what a difference speakers make! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Man what a difference speakers make!

DrellMSU

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I just replaced my door speakers with the pioneer 6x8 3 ways and put an amp on them from the factory cd/cass deck...

MAN it sounds so much better than the factory speakers... Now just have to finish some wiring and build the stealth box for my 3rd row XLT.

I'll post some pics if it all turns out.... got to find the 8"s i want before building it though.

Anyone have any idea on freeair 8" speakers?

DRellMSU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would the speakers sound that much better without the amp?

Without the amp...they sound a little better..but not much.

I would recommend a head unit upgrade if you were trying to get better sound for a little less. The extra wattage off of the headunit would make the factories sound better.

It really pissed me off that when you cranked the air all the way up...it was almost louder than the factory speakers without getting distorted.

DRellMSU

Also the stealth box is gonna have to wait a little while...

Have some 10s and 12s laying around the house from my old cars, so I bought a 25 dollar box at Walmart and put the 10 in it...

The 10 actually sounds decent..not awesome but decent.... Now just figuring out the dimensions for stealth box and the speakers..

DRellMSU

What amp do you have running those Pioneer 6x8's? I have the same speakers and am interested in what it is you used.

snocross1985 said:
What amp do you have running those Pioneer 6x8's? I have the same speakers and am interested in what it is you used.

Same here.

As for the amps, I had a really old Kenwood laying around the house and a really old Rockford Fosgate 4.6x.

These amps are probably a good 4-5 years old each.

The speakers can handle I think 100 watts RMS, so depending on how loud you want them to play...

I think my amp I have running it is only 30 RMS x 4, and for me...thats plenty.

Just get an amp that is around 30-50 watts RMS or a little more for louder music. For highs though, 30-50 is generally plenty.... its over 5x more powerful than what your stock radio is.

I've had stereos that would blow you out of the truck before, and although this isn't it, it sounds good and clean and is still very loud. Also you might want to run a passive Xover in line with the speakers if you guys have subs.

Will make them play cleaner and louder.

DRellMSU

Please clarify, because I'm considering doing the same thing to my 96 XLT.

You replaced your factory amp in the factory location with the 30x4 watt aftermarket amp, and you ran a line-level input from your factory HU to your aftermarket 30x4 watt amp, right? And you ran a power lead for the amp direct to your battery?

Did you use the stock factory speaker wires from the amp to the speakers or did you run new wires?

thanks (I just found out today that I have a separate amp with my stock system)
:eek:

Nope, actually my system in my X was so bad it had no amp.

But I did use the existing speaker wires... and ran those to my amp..because my amp has high level inputs or speaker level inputs.

DRellMSU

I'm thinking about getting the Pioneer 6x8's for my doors.. Will they fit all the way around or should I reconsider? Btw, I don't think it's really neccessary to have an amp run door speakers. If you have a nice Headunit, you'll have plenty of wattage running to your doors. (50x4 in most cases)

6x8s are pretty good and they fit in both the front and rear doors no mods...if you want really good sound do some components.

I'm running off my factory head unit still.... I discovered in my old age, factory headunits tend to keep theft down...they peep in your window...see the factory stereo still...and normally will leave ya alone...

Headunits are one of the first things stolen...that and CDs you leave laying around as well as subs if they are easy to see.

DRellMSU

I'm thinking about getting some 4 way 6x8's for the back and components for the front.

Btw, if you take your faceplate out every night you'll have no problem. No one wants a HU without a face plate. And window tint does help a little. Subs are in the back so... tint = can't hardly see them.

I have actually had friends that got there stereo stolen with no faceplate on.

But that would be great.. 6x8s in rear and components up front.

DRellMSU

Back