manual and digital heater control interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual and digital heater control interchangeable?

workhorse987

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
94/98 xplanger
i have a 98 eddie bauer explorer that had the digital heater control. does anyone know if i could get a manual heater control to work? even if i have to rewire the electric plug and re connect vacuum hoses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 98 eddie bauer explorer that had the digital heater control. does anyone know if i could get a manual heater control to work? even if i have to rewire the electric plug and re connect vacuum hoses

Its been done but its no where near plug and play.

im not sure i remember hearing that going from manual to digital was hard or u cant do it or something im not sure about going from digital to manual hmm

Its been done but its no where near plug and play.
any idea on where to start or is there a thread of any sort. the nonplug and play doesnt bother me. i would be happy if i could just get the heater on and blowing. i mean this is my explorer. i dont think much of anything is plug and play at this point!!
explaingernopipes.jpg

LOL!

Yeah, nowhere near plug 'n play, but freakin awesome response! :D

Wow... one heck of an EB there... AWD on that?

There's a thread or two around here on the reverse conversion (from manual to EATC) but the instructions should give you an idea of how to do EATC to manual - you'll need the controls, the fan speed controller (resistor), and a new blend door actuator. Probably can be had at a good pick-and-pull for under $20. Be sure to grab the harnesses for everything.

The conversion is on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/14

The "EATC to manual" conversion should be much easier. I'd highly recommend having a copy of both the EATC and manual wiring diagrams to reference.

OK, I gotta ask... If THAT monstrosity is your Explorer, what the heck good is ANY kinda heat or AC controls going to do?!!?

It's been done before, but it's a lot of work. Is that an Explorer or a Ranger trying to look like one?

This might belong in Modified Explorers.

thanks for the help. hopefully i can figure it out so i can drive this thing. i hate it just sitting there but its freakin chili when i got to work at 3 a.m..

the dash, engine, and drive train is all stock explorer. it was originally an explorer that me and a buddy went in on. it had been rolled and we got it for three hundred bucks... didnt know if it ran or anything but figured what the hey, for $150 a piece will take it. we go to the wrecker yard and sure enough try to start it and it cranks but acts like no gas... i know some of you are thinking it was a rolled vehicle the fuel shutoff valve is tripped. well we thought the same thing, reset it and bam started right up and we drove it on the trailer. got it home and after a few days of sawing, wrenching, and yanking we progressed to this awd mud rig, everything that worked and wasnt necessary for it to run went to the metal yard or ebay for dirt cheap... including the working digital heater control to some lucky sucker for like $20...
mud4.jpg

then we got a tboned ranger and mashed the two together
the link is of us pulling the back hatch off before dismantling the ranger in the background
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc191/workhorse987/?action=view&current=Picture225.flv

Back