• Register Today It's free!

Manual Front Hubs

WNYBroncoBill

Reaction score
City, State
Western New York State
Year, Model & Trim Level
3X88-90 Bronco II
I have a 1990 B2 with the push button 4WD option. Transmission is a 5-speed manual. The front hubs are the automatic engaging type.

What would it take to convert the hubs to manual locking hubs? I believe the 1990 model year used the Dana 3200 front differential, not the 2800 as in earlier models.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Count how many bolts are on the front face of the diff, D28 has 12 bolts, D35 has 10. If your BII came with a 4.0 engine, it probably has the D35
It's an easy conversion, you just need the manual hubs and a conversion kit, which is just two locking nuts and a washer per side.

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply. Last night I did see the conversion kit on e-bay for around $300. New Warn hubs and the hardware you mentioned. I will count the differential bolts on the front to determine which Dana I have. The engine is a 2.9L, but I have seen some who said they had the D35 in a 1990 B2.

Bill

Manual Hubs

Bill,

My 1988 has a 12 bolt front differential. The 1990 has a 10 bolt, so I assume that means 27 spline axles and hubs for that one. The 88 already has manual hubs and a floor selector for 4WD.

The 90 has the push button option. Currently not working, received the transfer case motor I ordered today. If it then goes into 4WD, I will swap the hubs for the manual ones.

Thanks again,

Bill

Back in my B2 days I just found a Ranger /w D28 in a junkyard with manual hubs, got the hubs and all of the lock washers and rings past the outer wheel bearing. Went right onto my 87 with no issues, and allowed me to use 2-Lo via the electronic transfer case.

I wheeled that 87 hard and never broke the manual hubs, and in my experience even JY hubs will probably be in good shape. They were manufactured by Warn.

Back