Manual locking hubs on 98 explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual locking hubs on 98 explorer 5.0

Brandon Busby

Reaction score
City, State
Natchitoches,La
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, explorer,xlt 5.0
Hi can someone help me on installing the seals in the knuckle I’m putting the 98 ranger parts in my explorer to have manual locking hubs. I can’t tell if the go in from the front or back I’ve watched a video of someone working on a ranger and he said they go in and out from the front which makes sense because of the beveled edge on the front but the ring in the middle seems like it won’t go deep enough to allow room for the hub . So with that said does the ranger not have that metal ring on the inside. I’ve looked at a thread on doing this job and he shows a picture of it protruding out the back a little bit but it doesn’t seem like it was meant to install from the back. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this particular situation. I included some pictures of my knuckle and the picture of the thread where I got the idea.Thanks, Brandon

92E307F3-6A25-464A-B47E-77721ADC5A98.jpeg

6226342D-A5C0-4C66-A852-3B4EF1CBC0C9.jpeg

6A408DBA-9ED6-4A08-A806-5DE807E02D55.jpeg

I have never fixed the vacuum hubs on a 98-99 ranger! I wish I knew!

Are you using rugged ridge hubs?

I installed those seals when I did my EX but I think they are for the factory vacuum hubs and arn't needed with manual hubs.

Back