• Register Today It's free!

Manual Transmission Leak Fix

Vern Kleist

Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
The tranny on my 94 5 speed was dripping a lot. I looked in the FAQ and found the description of fixing leaks by replacing the 3 rubber plugs behind the shifter. I went out and bought the suggested freeze plugs and proceeded to tear out the seats, consol, carpets, etc. (Getting the seats and their seatbelt holder/sliders out is a lot easier if you take the center box out first!)

When I got to the top of the tranny I found that the plugs looked ok but that the bushings and gaskets around the shifter itself were shot. So I replaced all that stuff and popped out one of the rubber plugs (it was hard as a rock) and tried to replace it with one of the freeze plugs.

The first time I tapped too hard and it popped throught the hole and fell into the tranny. I drained the fluid and it fell out...

The next time it went in crooked and as I tried to straighten it it popped throught the hole and fell into the tranny.

This time it did not come out with the fluid. About 15 minutes of poking around with an extension magnet brought it out.

I went to the dealer and bought 3 new rubber plugs.
If they last 80K miles I'll be happy!

put a line of RTV around these new rubber plugs (not too much, just enough to create a good seal) when you put them back in.

Great idea.

Back