manual transmission swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual transmission swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Physically, its pretty much all bolt on. The only thing that isnt a bolt on is the electrical stuff where you have to fool the ECU into thinking the transmission is in Neutral.

There's no reason to fool the auto ECU when you can just swap in a manual ECU and gain a couple features you don't get with the auto ECU.

There's no reason to fool the auto ECU when you can just swap in a manual ECU and gain a couple features you don't get with the auto ECU.

What exactly do you gain besides maybe being able to put the truck into high idle via the cruise control?

Fuel injectors will shut down during engine braking, saving gas and providing more engine braking power. The engine will also keep the correct revs when shifting, and a slightly more agressive timing curve. It's a few screws to swap the computer, why is everyone so opposed to doing it?

Fuel injectors will shut down during engine braking, saving gas and providing more engine braking power. The engine will also keep the correct revs when shifting, and a slightly more agressive timing curve. It's a few screws to swap the computer, why is everyone so opposed to doing it?
Neg, there is no such thing as fuel cut off during engine braking or coasting. If so, then there should be no pollutants coming out of the exhaust - which is untrue. Also, if this were true, then hypermilers shouldnt need to shut off their engine, but we still do because fuel is being injected into the cylinders as long as the engine is rotating.

Neg, there is no such thing as fuel cut off during engine braking or coasting. If so, then there should be no pollutants coming out of the exhaust - which is untrue. Also, if this were true, then hypermilers shouldnt need to shut off their engine, but we still do because fuel is being injected into the cylinders as long as the engine is rotating.
There is a very distinct exhaust sound change when your fuel injectors shut off and at about 1000 or less RPMs, you hear them kick back on. And I've had the nuetral switch jumpered even with my manual tranny computer before I hooked it up to the tranny nuetral switch after my engine swap and it would not do the injector shutdown when engine braking, I then hooked it up to the switch on the tranny so it knew when I was in gear and it started shutting them down while engine braking like they should.
I'm not saying all cars do this, but RBVs do.

I guess I have to see it to believe it cauz I've never really felt or heard the fuel injectors shutting off while coasting. Maybe someone can hook up a voltmeter or a pilot light to one of the injectors and do a test.

Back