Manually shift transfer cas on a 3rd gen Exploere | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manually shift transfer cas on a 3rd gen Exploere

3boydad

Reaction score
City, State
Yardley PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 xlt
I have an '03 XLT that will only go into 4X4 High and 4X4 Low. It will not go into 4X4 Auto. I have replaced the transfer case motor and the 4X4 control module and tried the Brown Wire Mod. I figure it must be a bad sensor that is the problem. I have pulled the TC motor and tried move the tc motor to the 4X4 Auto but I get a loud clicking sound :roll:when I try to put it into reverse and when i put it into drive the transmission does not engage (it is like it is in neutral).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can manually put it in 4X4 Auto with the tc motor off. Once I get it in 4X4 Auto I can manually adjust the TC motor to be 4X4 Auto and disconnect it electrically until I resolve the sensor issue

im kinda confused by what you are trying to say. four wheel drive auto has no indicator lights and is always in auto mode. the only time it will kick on is if the rear end sensor detects the rear wheels spinning more than the front are. Is this your problem ?

Back