manufacturer towing package

pjibe

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal,Que
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
I saw in the 2005 Spec the optional towing package called Class III/IV 3.73

I had question regarding special cooling system like trans and the sales rep could't even answer my question. The only thing he said : you can tow up to 7000 pounds.

My question is : Does that optionnal package come with special cooling system and how can I identify it on the vehicule ?

Do I need to add other cooler to tow big things ?

Thanks

Pjibe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Class III yes extra cooling, trans cooler too. I'd say no on extra cooling, unless you live AZ with 120F plus days and your pulling 6,998lbs.

You mean that the Explorer with this option comes already with the extra cooling system for both trans et differential, so that I don`t have to put an extra option ?

When I open the hood, would I be able to see extra cooling containers for trans and differential ?? I was not able to see that with the sales rep

thanks

pjibe

There will be an extra radiator for the Transmission attached to the transmission lines. It should be in front of the Rad., actually you will see two of them - one for the trans and one for the Power Stearing. CLASS III 2" receiver has them. (Class II 1 7/8" does not - seems my Class II has one two, checked the '04 FSM). Never seen a cooler for the differential. Extra cooling can turn things to thick soup in the great up north at low temps, not really needed.

Hmm, I have a NON tow package '04 EB with the 4.6 and it has both the PS cooler and tranny cooler, but in different locations than jrford said. The PS cooler is mounted to the frame cross member behind/below the radiator. The tranny cooler is mounted between the engine radiator and A/C radiator.

jrford:
How big are your coolers? I'm thinking I might want to "upgrade" mine.

You are right airjeff. I have the tow package and to my knowledge there is no difference in size of the transmission coolers between tow package and non tow package. Because of the size of these vehicles and the type of trnamission Ford felt it was neceassry from the factory for transmission cooler, towing or no towing.

Sorry, about that, was thinking of my Jeeps on the location. Also discovered my Transcooler, and yes it does sit between the rad and cond real hard to see. I'm going to look up the pluming not sure if it goest through the radiatior also. The sales lit. said that the transcooler was listed as coming with the Tow package only, guess they added to all models regardless for '04.

airjeff:
For Northern MN I wouldn't add an additonal cooler, check with Local Trans shops. I went to two shops and both guys I talked to said no way in Michigan (this was for a Jeep), I would think the same for MN. The problem they told me was the Trans would be too cold with temps in the negative below zero. It will never heat up to optimal tempature so I was told.

jrford said:
you will see two of them - one for the trans and one for the Power Stearing. CLASS III 2" receiver has them. Class II 1 7/8" does not.

Is this on all years? I have a 2002 XLT with a factory 2" receiver, and was wondering if it has additional cooling from the factory...

I had to double check on my '04 and it has a Trans Cooler. I check the FSM, and its there - some where, I thought they said 'extra' cooling for ClassIII. One would need to check Part No. on Coolers to be sure.

Back