• Register Today It's free!

MAP Sensor???

calebg

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
I just had to have my Thermostat Housing replaced since it was leaking coolant on Friday. Sunday night I'm driving home when out of nowhere the truck begins shaking. I pull over and it's worse as it idles.
Long story short, I believe it is running very very lean. It's a 2007 4.0 V6 with "ONLY" 81,300 mi. and is currently at my mechanics shop. He called and said it's telling him the MAP sensor is bad???

Any ideas? Could it be a simple issue like fuel filter? Plugs?
Thanks....and are issues like this common? Seems like a 2007 shouldn't be having these problems this soon...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your mechanic is reading a MAP sensor code, then you should ask him to replace the MAP sensor. That could definately cause your described problem.

If you think your engine is running lean, add some fuel injector cleaner and see if that changes anything. With fuel injection, "lean" or "rich" really aren't words that are used anymore. Fuel injectors can clog, but that usually just makes the engine run roughly.

Thanks for the response and good info. He called today and said he did more tests only to discover that there is no compression in cylinder 1...and 3 and 5 are low.

My (newb) question is how can this happen all of the sudden like it did....and at only 81,300 miles?!

Thoughts?....

Thanks!

Recently overheated and now low or no compression could be a head or head gasket issue. Aluminum does not like to overheat. Good luck with your mechanics prognosis.

Thanks eppd00.... he's telling me I need a new motor but didn't mention anything abou the gasket - I will ask him thought for sure.
The overheating though: I never had to pull over or anything like that - the temp gauge climbed to 'hot' while sitting at a red light then as soon as it peaked, it went back down to normal. This happened only twice. Could that still cause the head gasket to blow? Also, i had that thermostat housing replaced on a Friday morning and I drove it all weekend. It was not until Sunday night around 7:00pm that it suddenly began shaking. I would think there would have been some signs of a problem this major between Friday and Sunday....just asking, but I could be wrong.

Anything is possible. Let us know what the final problem was.

Well I ended up taking it to Ford. They said a valve broke.... (?)
Anyway... It's working now and warranty covered nearly all of it. Only cost me a couple hundred. Hopefully it'll continue working this time!

So that's it...thanks for reading.

Back