Massive electrical issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Massive electrical issue

cadet1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
Hello all,

I have a bit of an odd one. I just purchased my 2002 4x4 explorer two weeks ago with some minor issues on it, so I thought. When I bought it I knew it needed a window motor along with some other electircal components. After replacing everything I needed to I am still having problems. First, it looks as someone in the past had installed a automatic car starter and than took it out. The red power seat wire was melted and fused to a cluster of wires by the fuse box on the drivers side, I peeled all the wires apart and tapped them so no bare was showing. However, I did chase the wire back to the passenger side behind the glove box by the GEM module. Again, more wires are melted and fused from the same power seat wire. I ended up having to replace the 4x4 module as well. I know this is a long dragged out explanation but here is my question. When I shut my Explorer off, if the door is open for more than 10 secs, the chime dings one time and all of my accessory components are fully operational even with the key out. So after my car is shut off, you can still operate the wipers, windows, rear defrost, and the radio. (I ran a new wire for the radio). My power is draining because of this, could this be a GEM problem or another issue? Also, if my battery goes dead, My seat belt indicator works one time, and than never again util my Battery goes dead...odd. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds complicated...

First, hello there! Since you have not been officially welcomed, the proper parties will do that soon...

Second, I'm not a tech, is there a warranty? Was it a private party purchase?

It sounds like someone tried to rig their own auto start, but based on the damage you found in the wiring system, that sounds like it needs immediate attention.

yes, it was indeed a private party purchase, it was purchased from a dealer who purchased it from an auction.

The dealer likely knew...

yes, it was indeed a private party purchase, it was purchased from a dealer who purchased it from an auction.

What state or country are you in? At this point, I would not touch any of the pre-existing damage that you found. It appears it was concealed... When you did the test drive, who started the vehicle?

Sounds like maybe the power is being reversed somewhere. Maybe someone can elaborate on this but could be a diode missing somewhere that doesn't allow power to back into the system.

If your in your car and you have the doors closed radio going, you can remove the key, and windows and radio etc should work. As soon as you open the door it should turn everything off.

Correct, thats the way it should work, however, if you open the door for more than 10 seconds with the key out it dings and turns all the acc options on, (radio, wipers, rear defrost, locks and windows). It would be easy to diagnose if the gem module was plug and play like the 4x4 module so I could just quick plug it in and see but its not. In regards to the other question asked, I did buy it in Ohio, I am from Michigan and I did indeed do the test drive. I knew there was some minor issues I later diagnosed, (EGR, rear abs speed sensor, blower resistor, and the 4x4 module) do you think that if the wiring fried some other components that the gem could have been taken out as well? If so would this cause it to malfunction the way it does?

(problem #1)
The minor issues or repair work was anticipated, but the wiring issue is different. There was work done by someone that wasn't qualified to do it, or they just did enough to keep it running. If it doesn't cost much to fix, considering the other items, then it's just a matter of fixing it up... no harm.

You sound pretty busy and may not have time for this part, but if you have the work done by a third party, and it's costly, I would send a notarized copy of the itemized bill/invoice to the dealership's sales mgr asking for reimbursement for the hidden wiring damage repair - the exception being, did they advise you that there may be hidden defects. If that "Hold Harmless" clause is part of the contract you signed, you might be unable to collect. But if they are fair, they might just pay up...

I hope you follow up with this one here... very interesting.

First, I would like to say thanks to everybody for the rapid responses!! However, the contract I did sign did pretty much say "sold as is" not in so many words but I got the point. The benefit I have is my father is a Ford technician...I get my parts pretty cheap. However, he doesnt have very much time to work on my vehicle. So, he usually directs me in the right way. I think I located the main problem in the secondary harness behind the glove box, only problem is I cannot get the the wire loom way up under the dash without removing it, seems like a big chore. Even though the power seat wire has been cut at the power source (the fuse box) as well as at the second harness it is still getting power, I assusem it has fused itself to another wire up in that harness and is getting power from something that is hot all the time. At first I thought my 4x4 module could be related to the melting problem, but I read a TSB about the modules having problems with solder points. Does any one know if the dash is a big chore to remove, (passenger side)?

Lots of work ahead of you there Cadet1, sounds like you can handle it though! Good luck!

I assusem it has fused itself to another wire up in that harness and is getting power from something that is hot all the time.

Correct, thats the way it should work, however, if you open the door for more than 10 seconds with the key out it dings and turns all the acc options on, (radio, wipers, rear defrost, locks and windows).

If its fused to another live wire, then why the 10 second delay? Maybe its fused to a dead wire that turns on after a short delay, like the security system. Just a thought....

Or a bad diode on a module. You need a wiring diagram... Ill see what I can find for you.

Sorry man I thought I had a wiring diagram tucked away in my hard drive somewhere.

I have an Explorer 2002 Limited too, and I have almost the same problem. The driver's seat doesn't work at all. I check the fuses and are ok. I moved the seat and checked the cables and are ok. I took the dealer and they say that the motor is ok but, they want me to pay $500 to look deeper, JUST TO LOOK, to figured out what is going on. HELP PLEASE!

Any ideas?

Back