Mazda3? Or another..? Need help choosing a new car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mazda3? Or another..? Need help choosing a new car

Forder

Reaction score
City, State
West Point, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, '05 Altima 3.5
I've been looking online for a nice car for me and my wife to drive once I get back home. I'm in South Korea right now serving a year tour in the Army. I'll be back in August 2006. Until then, I'd like a find a nice fuel efficient, 4 or 5 door sedan for the road trips to the family when I'm on leave. I'll keep my Ex for the winter time.

I'm growing fond of the Mazda3 4 door and 5 door though. I'm not sure if I want new or not right now though. But the new ones look sweet from the inside and out. Plus from all the reviews I've seen online, they seem reliable and peppy enough with the 2.3 Litre. The only downside I see of them is the resale and I'd still like a bit more power under the hood.

I want this next car to be fun to drive while still being able to have room to haul the groceries and family around in comfortably. I'd also like it to get at least around 25 MPG in the city and 30 MPG on the highway. I would like to hear everyones suggestion as to what they have expirienced since I cant test drive anything here in Korea and have to wait until I get home.

Has no one tried out this car???

Forder said:
Has no one tried out this car???

My wife has an '02 P5. The car hasn't given us any problems with just regular oil changes done at home (bought new in October '01, now has 60k on the odo). The Mazda3 platform is new (shared with the Volvo S40 and European Focus) to that of the old Protege (rear seat leg room is down slightly), as is the engine, so not sure how much that helps you.

One thing about gas mileage is we have only seen in the upper 20's, not sure if she gets 30 regularly. The tires that come stock are performance tires and not good in the snow. Unfortunately, the size tire included limits the choice of winter tires, without changing wheels.

The car has more road and wind noise than an Ex, and isn't fast, but can still be fun to drive (just be sure to get the 5-sp--the auto will probably be a real dog).

Back