MFT screen black but still working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT screen black but still working

atoledo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Greetings all.

This forum has helped me a great deal before and I hope this time as well. I have a 2011 XLT. My screen had been going off intermittently and staying off for a day or two then coming back on for a few days. One day it started blinking madly for a few minutes before finally staying on. The next day it didn’t come back on and that’s where I am now. The touch screen still works, however. I know where the radio station buttons fall on the screen and I can actually change stations but the screen is totally black. I disassembled the console and reconnected all the wiring. No use. My next step is to try the fuse but it’s extremely hard to get to.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Probably an internal fault and beyond the scope of a DIYer to fix (I mean at the discrete component level instead of a whole new $$$$ module), unless you have experience reverse engineering electronics. With that in mind, if you can non-destructively open it, I'd go ahead and see if you notice anything wrong. Could be a simple fix like bad solder joint, burst capacitor or fried voltage regulator or... the further I go listing things, the more technically involved and skilled you have to be to fix it.

You're looking for power getting to the LED backlight array, locating the LEDs and back tracing the circuit to where the power stops, or if the LEDs are in series and power & ground is making it to each end of that series, doing a diode check across each LED, or voltage between each LED and chassis ground to see where power stops, but I'd imagine that all LEDs are not in a single series so probably not this latter issue.

This sounds like a display backlight failure, since the APIM is still good you can swap the screen out with one like this for $100 or less.

Back