• Register Today It's free!

Mice!

Hey Load C17

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I found a beautiful 97 XLT with only 70K miles, one owner, dead. Brought the truck home and put it in my shed over the winter. Got it out in April and it looked as if the interior were full of pop corn. Yes, it had a healthy infestation of mice. And after removing the seats, carpet, and headliner I found walnut shells and I don't have any walnut trees. So I am thinking that the mice were in the purchase price.

I had the seats and carpet steam cleaned, found a nice headliner at a u pull parts, and took the a/c blower motor/fan out of the engine compartment and found a huge nest made up of fibers from the padding attached to the underside of the hood. I vacuumed deep into the duct work, washed all of the metal parts (body) with amonia, stuffed the wire run channels with steel wool and thought I was rid of the mice.

A month later (yesterday) when running the a/c I could hear that same muffled sound coming from the fan--no stinky smell this time. Pulled the fan motor last night and sure enough the beginnings of a large nest getting ready for another cold winter.

Where to these little stinkers get into the duct work? I suspect these are new mice and they can smell the nesting area which draws them to the truck. They have chewed off most of the foil insulation wrap on the a/c blower motor exterior, and I suspect there's some entrance just below and aft of the engine compartment duct box.

Your thoughts?
Thanx
Hey Load

Back