Microturbine generator prototype

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
On June 1, 2009 I posted a thread about the possibility of using engine exhaust to power and run a turbine that rotates a generator. The output of the generator could power an electric motor used to rotate the accessories on the serpentine belt and possibly another electric motor coupled to the driveshaft to supplement the internal combustion engine drive (a reverse hybrid).
Turbogenerator?

I have just found an internet article about a start-up company in Israel that has used a microturbine generator to extend the range of a Prius.
ETV Motors demonstrates extended-range Prius with microturbine and
http://www.etvmotors.com/technology.htm

If their microturbine generator could burn/run on an internal combustion engine exhaust then it would have significant retrofit fuel economy potential!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like this idea:D That would be a great way to feed high power stereo systems without having to resort to two power robbing alternators.

Isn't this similar to how SAAB does their turbos (or should i say did :p:)

Thanks for the post!

I wasn't aware of the Saab/Garrett unique turbocharger configuration. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

However, the Saab turbogenerator is an entirely different concept than a microturbine generator. The Saab turbo is a standard turbocharger assisted with an electrical motor to reduce boost lag or increase low engine rpm boost. When the engine is running at high rpm the turbo will overspeed and the motor can act as an electrical generator causing drag on the turbo and putting otherwise wasted energy to good use. In a turbocharger there is no igniter and no combustion takes place in the turbo chamber.

A microturbine is comparable to a very tiny jet engine. It utilizes an igniter and combustion takes place. The expanding gases resulting from combustion spin a turbine. The power generated can be coupled to an electrical generator or to a mechanical drive system as in the case of the 1963 Chrysler Turbine Car.

On June 1, 2009 I posted a thread about the possibility of using engine exhaust to power and run a turbine that rotates a generator. The output of the generator could power an electric motor used to rotate the accessories on the serpentine belt and possibly another electric motor coupled to the driveshaft to supplement the internal combustion engine drive (a reverse hybrid). [/URL]
Look into the "turbo compound engine" design - basically it uses a turbo to mechanically transfer some of the energy in the exhaust gas (its velocity) back into the drivetrain. Its been around for quite a bit but mostly employed (in the modern world) on larger turbo diesel engines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine

Back