Low fuel light

9COOP5

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS
2014 Exp XLT
Is it possible I could try some fuel system treatment for a low fuel indicator light that comes on and the tanks reads on E after a fill up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suppose it won't hurt but I don't know if it will help. The Manual doesn't address fuel additives but keep in mind what the Manual says about fuel in general;
Do not use:
• Fuels containing more than 15% ethanol or E-85 fuel.
• Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic based additives, including manganese-based
compounds.
• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl
manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
• Leaded-fuel (The use of leaded fuel is prohibited by law).

I don't know if additives contain any of the prohibited ingredients.

Peter

Can you disconnect the low fuel light? The truck runs good, and the gas tank is full

Attachments

• 7C2A9EFF-3DE2-4319-9BC9-60A4DC886E6C.jpeg
    7C2A9EFF-3DE2-4319-9BC9-60A4DC886E6C.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 23C2940F-06BA-4B29-8F15-C26904678B01.jpeg
    23C2940F-06BA-4B29-8F15-C26904678B01.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 74

You can’t disconnect the light itself, obviously. If it shows the fuel level correctly there must be a digital switch for low fuel, which kinda surprises me. You’d need to either fix that in the tank, or jumper, or un-jumper the wiring that goes to it.

Have you had the dealer look at the problem?

Peter

I missed the first post, apparently. Trying some fuel cleaner won’t hurt anything. I actually had some luck with this in a Subaru. They have two sending units, and average both to get a fuel reading. One was dirty and would never read much over a half. After a running a few treatments through it the gauge improved, but was never 100%. These cleanings were months apart as routine “maintenance”. Had I done them closer together, or back to back, maybe it would have done better.

It would have been Seafoam, or Techron for me.

Back