Misfire at idle, running out of ideas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Misfire at idle, running out of ideas

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Ok, I've tried tackling this problem and am running out of ideas to fix it. Last week I noticed a bad bogging off the line with unusual transmission shifting. So I inspected all of the plug wires and found that the cylinder 7 wire was burnt and cylinder 8 wire showed some darkening. I bought a new set of wires and replaced those on cylinders 7 and 8 and rerouted them far away from the headers. Initially, there was no difference at idle, with a noticeable misfire accompanied by exhaust that smelled like fuel and backfiring. The next morning I removed all of the wires and plugs from the driver's side, inspected them all, and re-installed them. This seemed to completely fix the problem until the next day, when it started again. Passenger side wires have been inspected and are in good shape.

What is there left that I should replace? Coil packs?

Do you know what cylinder is missing, you could check each wire with an inductive timing light to see if it is in fact a problem with the ignition system and not an injector. If the light flashes inconsistently or not at all then it could be one of the coils.

I'm not sure which cylinder is misfiring, but I was confident that it was driver's side due to the condition of the wires on that side. How much would would an inductive timing light cost if I wanted to buy one?

Back