Misfires, cant find the problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Misfires, cant find the problem.

Chadrax

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
1997 Ford Explorer SOHC 4.0L.

Codes: P0305(pd), P0306(pd), P0305, P0306. (Anyone know what the (pd) is?)

Scenario: I start my car and start driving. Everything is fine. Five minutes later, I feel the car shaking at low rpms (After a stop sign, or stop light). Then it starts shaking at higher rpms a few minutes later (70km/h+)

At the start if I try and pull the codes I get nothing. After I feel the initial shaking I get the codes P0306(pd) and P0306.

After it starts shaking at 70km/h, I pull the codes again and I get P0306(pd) and P0306, P0305(pd) and P0305. The codes wont go away until I start the car again and clear them, then the cycle repeats.

Pulled #4 plug, put it into #5 cylinder, same thing. Switched the wires as well.

Car was running fine one day, and then this the next.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

weak coil? I had the same problem, changed it out and no problem again.

word of caution, I went to Autozone and got a Duralast coil, it didn't last 2 months. Finally broke down and got a Motorcraft one.

could be bad coil, bad plugs or bad wires, or could be clogged injectors,, run some injector cleaner through it too,

I "think" the (pd) means Pending. The computer is deciding if it's a one time hick-up or an ongoing problem.

I recently experienced this after filling up with a tank of gas. Don't know if bad gas set it off, or was just the final straw. I replaced fuel filter which didn't fix my issue but may fix yours if its clogged, Cleaned the cylinders with Seafoam ran into where the pcv valve goes in; this helped but still had the miss. Replaced Plugs (motorcraft) and Wires (autolite) and then cleared the computer so it can relearn its driving program.

My situation was worsened by a thermostat stuck open not allowing engine to warm up to efficient running temp so also replaced it while doing the plugs.

I'm having a similiar issue. I just replaced the coil pack with a Duralast from Auto Zone. Its about a week old. It didn't seem to help the problem. The plugs and wires, as well as thermostat are all less than a year old. I'm also experiencing issues with the engine not heating up (either a bad thermostat or a bad temp gauge).

I'm pretty certain I had the fuel filter replaced within the last year, but I cannot say for sure. As easy fixes as they are, I'll swap both the fuel filter and thermostat and see what happens.

@NCTuskie what brand wires and plugs. All on this board are people saying stick with Motorcraft or Autolite. if you are having a miss in a specific cylinder try switching a nearby cable and see if the miss changes to the new cylinder there by confirming its the wire.

Coil pack replaced, car seems to have more power, but has the same problem. I guess it was time to replace that anyways, the oldone had about 250,000k on it. Just put 2 bottles of injector cleaner in, seeing if that will help.

I have noticed the temperature guage in the car was only going about 1/3 of the way to hot. Normal, or time to replace thermostat?

Edit: Fuel filter replaced a few months ago. Cylinder 5 misfire seemed to go away for the time being, maybe it was the fuel cleaner, not too sure yet. Ill update this with any information I get.

Cylinder 5 came back. Tried plugging the EGR, nothing. Tried pulling the maf sensor, thinking it may be an air intake leak somewhere after the MAF, and cylinder 1 and 3 started misfiring as well..?

Im all out of ideas at this point.

Cant seem to find the CKP sensor. Looking down from the top of of the engine, where would it be?

Edit: Realised I wouldn't be able to see it from the top. Ended up going through the passenger side wheel to get to it. I'll report back after a test drive later today.

Cleaned the sensor, didn't help. Now also getting a misfire on cylinder 3. Maybe it's time to get the injectors professionaly cleaned, or another issue?

@NCTuskie what brand wires and plugs. All on this board are people saying stick with Motorcraft or Autolite. if you are having a miss in a specific cylinder try switching a nearby cable and see if the miss changes to the new cylinder there by confirming its the wire.

@WICS

I'm not sure about the plugs, but I bought Duralast Wires from Autozone, along with the a Duralast Coil pack. I'm still having fuel consumption issues, along with misfires, and trouble downshifting.

Back