Mishimoto wants your Input about Intakes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mishimoto wants your Input about Intakes!

Would you purchase a performance intake kit if offered?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No, I’m not going to upgrade my intake

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No, I’ll probably change my intake, but not with this Mishimoto one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I already changed my intake and am happy with it

• No, I already own an intake, but with I would have waited for the Mishimoto intake

• Total voters

Mishimoto

Reaction score
City, State
New Castle, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST
Hello Explorerforum!

Nick here from Mishimoto! I'm kicking off this thread primarily to gauge interest in performance intake upgrades for your Explorers. As we dove more into this platform we noted that the factory air intake system is a choke point for those looking for better performance from their sport-oriented SUV. After some preliminary testing, we found that the inlet pipes are the largest source of restriction in the 3.0 EcoBoost's system, so we're looking at a full makeover for the intake.

NT6_4068.jpg

Our design would include the following:

• Revised Airbox
  • Dual Filtration
  • Two high-flow inlet pipes all the way to turbos
  • Expanded cast turbo snout on passenger-side
  • Pricing approximately between $575-$700 for the full kit
What we need before we start on this project is your interest! Let us know in the poll if this is something that you'd be interested in seeing from us!

-Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In general, Without tuning what's the point?

Everything is electronically controlled and you will not see much gain just replacing an intake. Stock intakes flow very well. Now if you are going to replace the turbos and tune, sure.

Now it seems you are doing a lot more besides just replacing the intake box. But what gains are you expecting? Again without tuning for it, most do not see what aftermarket companies claim.

$0.02. YMMV

In general, Without tuning what's the point?

Everything is electronically controlled and you will not see much gain just replacing an intake. Stock intakes flow very well. Now if you are going to replace the turbos and tune, sure.

Now it seems you are doing a lot more besides just replacing the intake box. But what gains are you expecting? Again without tuning for it, most do not see what aftermarket companies claim.

$0.02. YMMV
You're neglecting the fact anyone who may buy an intake would also then get a tune. Tuning for increased air flow will produce better results than tuning to stock flow.

You're neglecting the fact anyone who may buy an intake would also then get a tune. Tuning for increased air flow will produce better results than tuning to stock flow.

Exactly. Engine modifications build upon each other.

Hello Explorerforum!

Nick here from Mishimoto! I'm kicking off this thread primarily to gauge interest in performance intake upgrades for your Explorers. As we dove more into this platform we noted that the factory air intake system is a choke point for those looking for better performance from their sport-oriented SUV. After some preliminary testing, we found that the inlet pipes are the largest source of restriction in the 3.0 EcoBoost's system, so we're looking at a full makeover for the intake.

View attachment 429754

Our design would include the following:

• Revised Airbox
  • Dual Filtration
  • Two high-flow inlet pipes all the way to turbos
  • Expanded cast turbo snout on passenger-side
  • Pricing approximately between $575-$700 for the full kit
What we need before we start on this project is your interest! Let us know in the poll if this is something that you'd be interested in seeing from us!

-Nick
How about a snorkel for the timberline?

Back