Missing front bumper plug, for a front tow recoveryhook? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing front bumper plug, for a front tow recoveryhook?

Bobs2018ExplorerSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport 4WD
Callsign
KD6ANY
Some time ago, I wrote about the fact that my 2018 came factory-equipped with a front tow recovery hook (stored with the jack kit), but that my front bumper was somehow missing the small hole (and cap) in the front bumper cover, thereby making it impossible to ever use the thing.

A few weeks ago, however, I happened to see some photos of other identical 2018's for sale at dealerships, and noticed that those vehicles DID in fact have the hole-and-cap included in their front bumpers. A recent inspection by my selling dealership confirmed that my front cover was indeed the OEM cover that originally came with it (meaning, it had not been in an accident prior to being sold to me, where their body shop might have used an aftermarket cover), which ultimately resulted in the dealership having no idea why my cover was missing the access hole. I then started wondering, how hard can it be to just add the access hole, should I ever want to use the hook?

I then found a photo of what it actually looks like underneath the cover, quickly identifying the threaded insert and its approximate location under the cover. I then found lots of photos of bumpers with the access hole, and came up with an approximation of where I should cut my own hole.

Since I don't possess X-ray vision, I first drilled a very small test hole, and found I was only about 3/8"-inch off of hitting the threaded part dead-center. I then used a 1-1/4" hole saw, relocated to where it actually needed to be, and cut the hole. Fortunately, it was then perfectly centered over the location of the threaded insert! I was then able to easily screw-in the hook, as well as close it off with a matching (and painted) plastic plug.

As to why my front bumper was missing the access hole, nobody can seem to tell me, but at least I was able to make my own, should I ever want to use the hook that came with my car.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 180

On some of the 2020 Explorers, they have the covering cap but no threaded attachment point. Apparently the installation point was deleted as a "running change".

Peter

I wonder why they would then bother to have the covering cap still in place... if there's nothing to screw the tow bolt into, to begin with? Seems kinda strange, but who knows when it comes to mid-stream production changes?

Back