Missing Part? - Clip in the glove box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part? - Clip in the glove box

Jason628

Reaction score
City, State
Markham, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'm missing the clip in the glove box that holds owner manual pouch. I asked my sales it's stander for all trim or it's optional? and The sales said it's may be optional.

4`A73F22AX[IN~GB02BD67G.png
DUMHPX6@M@HGHRJO)XCU3X5.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really doubt that it is an option.

Welcome to the Forum Jason. :wave:
The clip is not an option. On the AutoNation site it shows as being for;

Base, Limited, Limited Hybrid, Platinum, ST, XLT2.3L L4 - Gas, 3.0L V6 - Gas, 3.3L V6 - Electric/Gas, 3.3L V6 - Gas
You may also check for these items;

Peter

Clip was a build design change. Look up SSM 48626... here is the verbage from FORD

2020 Explorer vehicles built on or after 21-Jan-2020 will have a glove compartment which no longer has a clip/bracket to hold the owner manual. The clip/bracket has been eliminated from the glove compartment. The vehicle is not misbuilt. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER

Thank you for the info. That clears that up. Probably a huge cost-cutting move. :laugh: I guess the parts sites haven't updated their info.

Peter

Thanks, peter
Dealer installed the Rear Air Deflector for free and told me the towing eye is optional, I paid $50 for it.

Thank you for the info. That clears that up. Probably a huge cost-cutting move. :laugh: I guess the parts sites haven't updated their info.

Peter

Its a plastic clip, how much would that cost? 99 cents.

Thanks, peter
Dealer installed the Rear Air Deflector for free and told me the towing eye is optional, I paid $50 for it.

Did you check to make sure you have the installation point on the front bumper for the towing eye? That was a design change too...

SSM 48983 - 2020 Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility - Front Recovery Hook - Built On Or After 14-Nov-2019
Some 2020 Explorer/Police Interceptor vehicles built on or after 14-Nov-2019 may not be equipped with an installation point behind the front fascia to mount a front recovery hook. The installation point was deleted as a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Clip was a build design change. Look up SSM 48626... here is the verbage from FORD

2020 Explorer vehicles built on or after 21-Jan-2020 will have a glove compartment which no longer has a clip/bracket to hold the owner manual. The clip/bracket has been eliminated from the glove compartment. The vehicle is not misbuilt. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Really thought it was odd to put a slot/shelf in the glovebox for the owners manual binder, but have no way to keep it in its place (for us OCD types). That was nice with the 5G Explorer that there was a shelf for the booklet above the glovebox. Just stumbled on the lack of the clip - such a petty change on Ford's part. Looks like it's time to fabricate something.

Really thought it was odd to put a slot/shelf in the glovebox for the owners manual binder, but have no way to keep it in its place (for us OCD types). That was nice with the 5G Explorer that there was a shelf for the booklet above the glovebox. Just stumbled on the lack of the clip - such a petty change on Ford's part. Looks like it's time to fabricate something.
I realized that I have one today and put the binder in it for the first time since owning this vehicle since December!

I realized that I have one today and put the binder in it for the first time since owning this vehicle since December!

Is that clip easy to pop off? Curious if it has an engineering number stamped in to it. Crazy that it looked to be available only with the complete door, but I have the guys at my local dealer looking in to it. Ford probably got tired of warranty claims from it breaking off, which would have been easily remedied if it was a separate piece. Very annoying for something so minor.

Here's the slot on mine where the clip was supposed to be:

20200828_103406.jpg

I just checked and I have the clip on my Explorer LTD that I picked up this week.

The clip presence really depends on when the vehicle was built, deletion was a running production change.

TBill

I understand the clip that used to be found in the glove box to hold the owner's manual has been deleted in cars built after a certain date. Can I purchase the clip from somewhere to add to my 2021 Explorer ST?

I understand the clip that used to be found in the glove box to hold the owner's manual has been deleted in cars built after a certain date. Can I purchase the clip from somewhere to add to my 2021 Explorer ST?

It the parts catalog it is listed to come with the complete door which is 200 bucks, I am not sure how well the clip worked away as it appears to be just a piece of plastic holding the owners manual in place. It could easily slide out of it anyway.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As mentioned, the clip seems to be part of the storage compartment lid rather than a separate item. It looks like you'd have to replace the lid itself if you can still find one with the clip.
Glove Box for 2020 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

It the parts catalog it is listed to come with the complete door which is 200 bucks, I am not sure how well the clip worked away as it appears to be just a piece of plastic holding the owners manual in place. It could easily slide out of it anyway.
After reading this I put my manual in the clip many months ago and it does not fall out. It keeps it firmly in place!

After reading this I put my manual in the clip many months ago and it does not fall out. It keeps it firmly in place!

Well goody, so far in 2021 Ford has eliminated the engine cover on the 2.3 liter motor, eliminated this clip thingy, and some under rear air defelctor. I sure that saves them a whopping 30 bucks per vehicle.

Gee some one should class action them so they will put all that back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well goody, so far in 2021 Ford has eliminated the engine cover on the 2.3 liter motor, eliminated this clip thingy, and some under rear air defelctor. I sure that saves them a whopping 30 bucks per vehicle.

Gee some one should class action them so they will put all that back in.

I know for sure that the rear air deflector and the glove box clip was eliminated in the later 2020 models as well because I have a 2020 and don't have either of those.

Back