Moab Colors Run (White Rim Trail) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab Colors Run (White Rim Trail)

Hey this is Gerald :D

I've always wanted to mess with Char but I'll be nice while on her computer :p

A great trip and I cannot add to Lee and Peter's posts. A wonderful time. I'll post more when I get home after the rest of the "Herc Tour" in a few weeks. The colors were phenominal and a good cause to consider moving our yearly Explorer Moab trip to this time of year. Plus the rooms are cheap now :D

I met Gene Day at the City Market the next morning, who led me on Hell's Revenge and Moab Rim. I got my own three wheel stance picture coming up Hell's Gate when I took the wrong line and ended up vertical on the canyon wall at Hell's Gate while waiting for the winch. My leather seats got a new coating during that deal. Hell's Gate took out my right rear fender flare but no sheetmetal.

Moab Rim :eek: I have been momentarily scared before and nervous at times - such as on Lion's Back - but I am having a hard time trying to describe the sensation. One mile of pure unending terror. Then you have to come back down the same way all over again.

To run Moab Rim is to crawl up one mile of steep switchbacks, one foot from a dropoff of hundreds of feet, while the rear of the vehicle is drawn sideways when the tires are clawing for traction on knee and thigh high ledges, all while being off-camber on three and two tires at a time.

I'll hike and take the photos of others next time. But I got the tee-shirt :D

Moab Rim took out my right rear plastichrome fenderwell bumper to match the flare that Hell's Gate took out the day before $$. My grillguard also got another readjusting in the Silver Sage parking lot before continuing on.

The next day was a thoroughly pleasing trip up the wonderful Elephant Hill with a seventy-eight year old hiker and 4wd Explorer owner. Elephant Hill has the coolest campsite (Devil's Kitchen) I have ever seen. I plan to find some of us to run Elephant Hill a day early during next year's Moab event and camp out there.

On the way to Rick and Char I ran Broken Arrow in Sedona, AZ which is a gorgeous trail with just the right amount of challenge.

On to Truckhaven!

PS: Char wants me to clarify that this really is me since she would never in her life write a post this long :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moab Colors Run (White RimTrail)

I created a Yahoo club called 'Peter's Explorations' to post my pictures from our Moab Colors Run, otherwise also known as Peter's quest to run the White Rim Trail. Lee and Gerald, thank you for making it finally come together.

Peter's Explorations

Just click above (or under my sig). Once you get there you need to become a member to go to the 'Photo' section. Once there, select the White Rim Trail album.

You can also post messages and even add your own albums.

Okay I am me now

The two day White Rim trail really is a very awesome experience. The trail itself was fairly easy with only a handful of steep switchback sections. I had a wonderful time with Peter and Lee. What a trip.

The colors were exploding in the trees and offered quite a panorama of contrasting scenes against the red rock for the entire trip.

Peter, Rick commented about that and I believe would be interested in another "Moab Colors Run". There would have to be at least a week between it and SEMA for him to do it. Something to think about....

I finally got in to view the photos but it took me several attempts and about twenty minutes. This is a very ponderous process but I did get in. However, it shows there are 23 pictures but I could only view the first half of them. Are the rest on there? Did any of the night moon photos with Candlestick Tower in the background come out?

Gerald

First, being able to view only the first twelve. The list comes up showing the first dozen. I assume you selected to see Thumbnails. That gets you the first twelve. Then just select 'next 12' either at the top or the bottom for the next twelve.

Unfortunately, the moon shots didn't turn out. On the longer exposures the moon is a great big, bright blob and the tower is barely visible. In the shorter exposures the moon isn't bad, but everything else is black.

New Photo Location

Since there have been some comments about how cumbersome it is to get access to the Yahoo Club I set up, I've changed the location to see the White Rim pics I took.
Try
Dead Link Removed

Hope it works

Back