• Register Today It's free!

moanin noise from front end?

GearGambler

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
at about 30 mph or so, i start to hear a moaning noise from what i think is the front end. the pitch increases as the mph increases. if i put the truck in neutral while driving, there is no change.

however, if i step on the gas pedal and then let off, it disappears for a split second, kind of like if you were trying to shift a manual transmission without the clutch, that split second its disengaged when you let off the gas.

trans fluid exchanged at 105k miles.

i'm thinking it has something to do with the front differential, front driveshaft or font CV joints?

does the front driveshaft turn when its in auto?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

its a 97 explorer xlt 4x4 with 120k miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30 views and no replies? someone must have heard something like this before. any insight would be appreciated!

Hub/Bearing assembly

My guess would be one of the Hub/Bearing assemblies is bad. I had the problem at about 80,000. Right hub/bearing assembly starting this growling/moaning noise that was relative to vehicle speed. I had my cousins shop replace it, cost about $300 with the labor. I think the part itself is about $160 at Autozone. You can replace it yourself, I'm pretty sure there's a sticky on the forum somewhere with a howto on replacing it.

Regards
Doug

well, i got under the front end tonight, checked the fluid in the front center section. pretty sure it was empty. it took about 1 and 1/2 quarts before it started dripping out the fill hole. the noise calmed down a bit, but i think that the damage is done.

what does it take to rebuild one of these things? is it like an 8.8 rear end? seemed a bit smaller to me, perhaps a 7.5 inch?

It's a variant of a d35.
Look in the classifieds here and at offroadrangers.com
There have been a couple of complete front differentials for sale in the last week I believe. 98+ rangers, 95-01 explorers, and 01-05 sport trac front differentials are the same except for gear ratios.
They may not be the correct gear ratio but it's worth checking.
Parts and labor for new Ring and pinion install is probably in the 600-700 range on average. Probably a bit less if you removed the differential yourself.

Back