• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1 oil filter?

trader ray

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I am in the middle of a oil change and bought Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter, the filter is part # M1-301, it is wrong. It is taller and the real problem is it has a too small of a fill hole to screw on the pump. Any suggestions as the parts store insist this is the right filter. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct filter should be an M1-210.

Good help is hard to find. (Your parts store) LOL

I had the same problem with FRAM filters at my local store. Their catalog guide had the wrong number in it... I kept the front of the package in my truck manual with the air filter sticker and a few other maintenance things so i always have part numbers and dont feel dumb when i walk in the store and ask

The confusion comes for the whole Job 1 / Job 2, issue that the 2001 model year suffers from. Job 1 has one filter and Job 2 a different one. So the parts store guy sold you a filter for a 2001 Ex but not the right "Job"

Thank You

Thanks for the help. I have the JOB 2 and it is a shorter filter. Both autozone and advance were standing on the large filter. I just returned it and went with ole' faithfull, Motorcraft. A third of the price and a better filter going by the Mobil one web site and a few complaining about the low check valve pressure with the Mobil one. Thanks again. I have always used Labor Day weekend to winterize my vehicles, I always called it car care weekend, but as I get older it takes more than a weekend..lol

2001 Job 1 models use FL1A (M1-301/51515) and 2001 Job 2 through 2005 use FL820S (M1-210/51372). Use those Motorcraft/Wix #'s to interchange other brands.

In your case ,trader_ray ,just remember you have a Job 2 because that issue will arise again.

When I joined this forum I had determined that and truthfully forgot all about it. We had a major move from one state to another and lots of things I had noted kind of got lost. I thank everyone for the info, I am going through the whole truck getting ready for winter. Plus thinking about painting the body cladding, I like the gray but not faded. I want to use the Krylon Gray Hammered look. I have used it on several other items such as the dash on my lawn mower and it really looked good.

Back