Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
First Off, let me say that I do not wish to turn this into a "bashing" or "flaming" thread with every post being "they suck" or something short and stupid like that.

This is from recent personal experience with them. I've seen good work and service from them, and bad.

Ok.

As some of you may know, I just got a job as a tech at West Houston VW. We got in a Jetta a few days ago with damage to it's A/C system. Turns out this car was shipped to us direct from Mobile One (car audio place) due to their fug-up. Seems they'd been trying to mount a power inverter to the bottom of the dash and had drilled 3 holes into the Evaporator. This of course bled all the R134 from the system and killed it. So we took to entire dash apart and replaced the A/C unit. In doing so I noticed a few other things. They'd gotten power from a splice off the main fuse block power lead instead of from the battery. This 1) gives less power to the stereo, 2) less power to the car's systems, and 3) could cut power to the car's systems and cause catastrophic failure. Other thing: they ran power lines with RCA lines and next to stock wiring. Not only is this bad for signal, but it could affect the car's computer and sensors with RFI to their wiring.

But they're trying to make it right and apparently these issues are to be addressed. I just wanted to post some things to watch out for, not to start bashing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This a volkswagon your talkin about?

Alec said:
......I just got a job as a tech at West Houston VW. We got in a Jetta a few days ago....

Jetta
Got it, sold mine last year, logged on to the wrong site, sorry, was looking under Explorer audio, my mistake

Your title is a little misleading don't you think...

I was thinking Mobile One Oil? Guess this is the Audio Forum. But its not Explorer Audio? Are we now catering to VWs? ;) :p

Grand scheme of things, he was just warning us away from what he thought was a bad installer. Could be an X they mess up next.

DRellMSU

Alec said:
Seems they'd been trying to mount a power inverter to the bottom of the dash and had drilled 3 holes into the Evaporator.
:eek:
How much is the bill to Mobile One for that error?

The bill was probably somewhere 1500-2000 from our shop to Mobile One.

And thanks DRellMSU, I was posting this as a "public service announcement". It pertains to all vehicles, not just VW or Fords; and is audio related.

Back