Models to avoid that had turbo issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Models to avoid that had turbo issues

Johnny Crash

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I can't recall seeing it but someone posted something about the Explorers with the turbos having issues. Which year was that or would that be any of the turbo models. I have to replace my Explorer and have no idea where to start. I like the Limited and the Platinum, I have no idea what the ST is. I haven't been paying attention. ;-)

I can't recall seeing it but someone posted something about the Explorers with the turbos having issues. Which year was that or would that be any of the turbo models. I have to replace my Explorer and have no idea where to start. I like the Limited and the Platinum, I have no idea what the ST is. I haven't been paying attention. ;-)
The ST is the 6th generation version of the Sport.
Are you looking at 5th or 6th gen Explorer? Many trims of both have turbos. I can't really say if those with turbos are any less reliable than those without. Of course just having the turbos will introduce the possibility of something else having an issue. As for me, I haven't had any issues with the vehicles I've had with turbos. I have another one on order already.

Peter

The ST is the 6th generation version of the Sport.
Are you looking at 5th or 6th gen Explorer? Many trims of both have turbos. I can't really say if those with turbos are any less reliable than those without. Of course just having the turbos will introduce the possibility of something else having an issue. As for me, I haven't had any issues with the vehicles I've had with turbos. I have another one on order already.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I have a 2018 and 2020 Platinum that I am going to check out. Both Certified so I will at least have a short warranty if I decide to pull the trigger.

Back