modifacations 4 stock air box 93 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

modifacations 4 stock air box 93 xlt

Tobias

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has done any modifications (like breather holes) to there stock air box and if so what was the affect?

thanks,
tobias

93 xlt 6"-4"lift 410 dif

[This message has been edited by Tobias (edited 02-14-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the Search Forums option up above and put in "Air box mods". Several of us have drilled holes in the bottom 1/2 of the air box. Seems like the best results come with the combo of holes and the K&N air filter. Try the search and read for yourself.

Tobias,
I did that mod you are talking about, i got it from another guy that did it on here, this is what i did. i put a total of 8 holes in the lower portion of the air box ( make sure it is below the filter ). they are 1" holes done witha big drill bit and a hand drill im sure electric would be fine. i put three on the long side and one in front two on the other long side and two in the rear of the air box. and put a drop in K&N filter in there. it has a distinct sound i think you will be pleased with, i was . i also figured if i messed it up what the hell ill go to a junk yard and get another one. gas milage went down though ( only due to me stomping on the gas all the time just to here it and turn some heads. i like it. i hvae a 91 EB and i think we have the same airbox but you'd have to confirm. later Dead Link Removed

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop,in Modified air box. flowmaster 40 cat back. 3" lift 31x10.5's

I also did the airbox mod. The more holes the better is what I've found (91 Explorer, 90 Bronco, and 94 Ranger) It sounds great and noticebly more power.

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

would doing this to a 96 ohv be okay. If anyone with this model has done it please tell me how you got the peice off of the inner fender.

Tobias-I've had it for sometime now on my '91XLT. It'll be the cheapest and one of the best modification you could do. Like Blaine said, it'll work the best with a K&N dropin filter. I had one and bought a spare one from a poster that was selling his for $25. This way I always have a clean one ready to pop in. I also removed the screen from my MAS. I figured anything to help the air intake would be good. No ill results by doing this so far.
Clayton-I'm sure you'll be happy with the modification when done to your '96. As for removing the box from the fender, I'm not sure on the '96. I believe my '91 might have had one screw holding it down and it just slid out, but I can't remember since I did this a long while back. Try checking your repair manual or maybe someone with a '96 might be able to help.

Has anyone from a cold climate made this modification? If so, how does it affect cold starts and warm-ups? This modification causes the preheater from the exhaust manifold to be bypassed.

Also, how does this modification affect gas mileage? Better, worse, or no affect?

------------------
ExploreMinnesota
91 EB 4x4 Stock

instead of drilling out my airbox i took a scroll saw and cut out all but the outside 1 inch ( like a frame) on the inside surface as well as the back. then took 1/2" mesh and siliconed it in to the inside of the box, and spray painted the mesh black. talk about a deep throat sound. IT RUMBLES! Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

Thank you all for the imput, im gearing up to go to san felipe,and I'll add cut air box to my things to do list. Any one else had there explorer in san felipe, Mexico?

Tobias

Yeah ScottC, seems like I remember reading where somebody on here took a Dremel rotary cutter and cut out all the sides leaving nothing but the frame to hold the top half and filter in. It doesn't have to be circles.

Thats the way mine is, just the frame and nothing else. I do still have that factory tube comming in, so I have a bit of cold air. What a rumble!

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

How does drilling holes affect the operation of the air flow sensor? Any negative effect?

The holes in the box are before the air flow sensor so it has no effect on it.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit :(

Back