Modifying Explorer for Street use | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifying Explorer for Street use

rmaybach

Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning on modifying my 96 Explorer for strictly street use. I am going off to college at the end of the summer, and my fourwheeling fix will be obtained through friends. So I would like to make my Explorer have a better highway ride and better cornering. I know this sounds like a tall order. I haven't done anything yet, but here is what I am thinking:
-New shocks, Bilsteins maybe. I have the originals in there, they are prolly toast.
-Sway bars front and rear. any suggestions as to which brand? Steeda, Explorer Express, the ones in Performance?
-New tires. this is a definate, most likely Michelin LTX M/S. any experience with these?

Thanks, I know this is a lot of questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rmaybach- I know lots of people have a big stiffie for the Michelin's, but my truck had a them when I bought it and I have to say that I've never hated a set of tires more than those. they last a long time, but are also rock-hard and gave a crappy ride as far as I was concerned. I also do a little bit of playing in the mud and they sucked at that too, but it's not really what they're made for. if you live in an area that gets any amount of snow, I wouldn't recommend them to you either (same reason they suck off road, the tread doesn't clean well). I'm sure other people have had other experiences, that's just mine. I never looked at road tires real closely when I shopped for a new set (wanted allterrains), so I can't offer much advice as to what's good and what isn't. BFG long trails??
another topic: I recently bought a set of Bilsteins and am really impressed. they do a good job of controlling body roll and calming the spring oscillation down. they're still a little stiff, but you know you're in control. maybe the Edelbrocks are softer, if you feel like spending the $$, but I don't know for sure.

perhaps you should save your mods money, you'll be needing a lot of beer funds in the coming years... :)

Aaron's got a point about money allocation!

You can see below how I've modified mine. It works really well. And yeah, I love Michelins; never had a set I didn't like. Of course, they've all been street tires.

Pete

You should look into changing your springs, sway bars, and shocks (possibly in that order too) prior to changing your tires. The new set of tires will provide extra grip and better handling; however, you must control the trucks body movement before you can utilize the tire's potential. Personally, I have the crappy Firestone wildernesses on my truck and my truck is not the fastest at all; however, many are surprised when I catch up and pass them on the turns! What I am trying to say is that I have an excellent ride with the stockers on and handling is by far better than 90% of the trucks out there.

Of course right now my truck will be left as is for the next year or two (purchasing a civic si or similar), but when the funds are back in the wallet, I intend to get a slimmer profile tire, 16" rim and maybe keep the Firecraps for the winter.

mike's right, progressive springs can make all the difference in the world. another thing is, the main part of the ride improvement I experienced with getting different tires was due to stepping up the size (235s to 31x10.5s) and going to an all terrain tire that had a softer compound than the Michelin's did. Explorer Express also makes progressive springs for the 91-94 models, and I think they were less expensive than the one's I saw in the Perf. Products catalog. I don't know if they make anything for your '96, though.

I've got a '96 sport with Bilstein shocks, Explorer Express sway bars, lowered 2", 255/45VR18 Yokohama AVS/ST tires on 18x8.5 Gara wheels. These mods greatly improved street performance. The stock ride sucked! I felt like I was riding in a school bus. I am pleased with all of the products I have and would reccomend them to anyone with the same goals.

JBH - I heard that rims size 18" above give a harsh ride on the street trucks. Is that true? I was contemplating 17", but after hearing that I was moving closer towards 16". Thanks.

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's and love them! And am installing the drop hopefully this weekend with the help of some members here in Dallas. Glad to see another explorer thats going street! See guys, the word just has to get out!

Mike, I guess it depends on what you consider a rough ride. I don't think that they give a rough ride, but you do feel more of the smaller bumps in the roads due to the stiffer/shorter sidewall. I've had vehicles in the past with 31's and 32's and the 18's definately ride better than they do.

JBHexplorer, where did you get your Gara rims from?

If you are looking for a better ride, try lowering it a inch or so, I did that to my 95 and it made a world of difference on ride comfort. it's smooth on the road. cost me all of $25 bucks for some 1" blocks for the rear. took me all of an hour to do.
it also improved the handling a lot, so much so that the tires are now the limiting factor since they give up long before the chassis does now.

I've got Goodyear Wranglers that suck in mud also, nearly got the thing stuck in my friends backyard (long story) they have a soft sidewall which will allow it to rock more than a stiffer tire (stock 15's on it) and I have some $20 Gabriels for shocks.

Back