Moonroof opens by itself | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof opens by itself

I wonder if it could be an intermittent short in the moonroof motor or its wiring? Only the motor would open and close the moonroof when it receives a signal. I'm sure if you pull fuse #8 in the engine bay fuse box the issue will stop. Of course, then you won't be able to open/close it yourself.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advice, however, I have changed the motor and problem still exists. Switch possibly?! It it never happens while driving, only happens when the key is turned on.

Thanks for the advice, however, I have changed the motor and problem still exists. Switch possibly?! It it never happens while driving, only happens when the key is turned on.
I was in the aftermarket sunroof business for over 25 years and have NEVER seen an issue like we are having. My biggest fear is that the sunroof would open by itself unattended and for sure fill the truck with rain/snow. I pulled my fuse ( it was a 30 amp under the dash-- #27) until this is sorted out. My truck only has 29k miles and the only issues have been the terrible Hankook tires (got $125 per tire credit), the right front sunroof drain became detached and now this issue with the sunroof opening by itself.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This doesn't seem to be a common issue. The reports here of it opening by itself are of the moonroof opening when the vehicle is started. No posts about it opening with the vehicle unattended. Also, it doesn't appear that anyone is working on a resolution for this problem.

Peter

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This doesn't seem to be a common issue. The reports here of it opening by itself are of the moonroof opening when the vehicle is started. No posts about it opening with the vehicle unattended. Also, it doesn't appear that anyone is working on a resolution for this problem.

Peter
Hello Peter- Thank you for your feedback. Having seen the damage that comes with a sunroof that is left open during a storm, I decided it is better safe than sorry.

It still happens. I keep the shade closed, since it has to open first...

Pull the fuse and enjoy the Glass panel as a Skylight......

Pull the fuse and enjoy the Glass panel as a Skylight......
True, but I like the vent when there is extra moisture in the cabin and the temperature is dropping.

It still happens. I keep the shade closed, since it has to open first...
If both the moonroof and shade are closed and you slide the moonroof back, the shade automatically opens first. Thus keeping the shade closed with not ensure the moonroof can't be opened. Page 89 of the Manual.

Peter

If both the moonroof and shade are closed and you slide the moonroof back, the shade automatically opens first. Thus keeping the shade closed with not ensure the moonroof can't be opened. Page 89 of the Manual.

Peter
I know, but if it starts I can stop it before the snow falls in.

I have a 2017 XLT, that has twice opened the moonroof when I started the vehicle.
No one had been playing in it or been near the switches.
Anyone else see this or is this part of the electric gremlins that I am seeing...
I have been searching for information for weeks. I own a 2013 Ford explorer and my sunroof will open on its own randomly (not often) only when I start the vehicle. I noticed my wipers turning on as well while driving on a hot sunny day (no rain). It's more annoying than anything. Ive read battery issues. Ive replaced my battery so many times. Last change was about 10 months ago and it has not changed this issue at all. Wondering if there's a switch panel faulty or a fuse? Not familiar with cars so im guessing after some research.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Regarding the wiper situation, I've had that same issue with my last 3 vehicles and also have it with my current 2020 Aviator. Phantom, Random, Uncommanded Windshield Wipe
I don't believe there is any way to prevent it unless you turn OFF the Rain Sensing Wiper system.
As for the moonroof self-opening, it could be a faulty switch. Unfortunately, the member in post #22 never reported back with any findings. I doubt any of these are battery related issues.

Peter

I have a 2017 XLT, that has twice opened the moonroof when I started the vehicle.
No one had been playing in it or been near the switches.
Anyone else see this or is this part of the electric gremlins that I am seeing...
That has happened to the ford explorer 2015. It came open without anyone opening it. Your not the only person the it happened to!

That has happened to the ford explorer 2015. It came open without anyone opening it. Your not the only person the it happened to!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you had the dealership or any garage check it out?

Peter

What happened to mine was one of the sunroof drain tubes froze and plugged, causing water to back up in the sunroof. It then leaked inside the car at the sunroof control switches and got into the circuit board within the switch which eventually shorted it out. The switch assembly comes out fairly easily and you can open it up to see if it has water damage. I sealed my new one with silicone to try and prevent moisture from getting inside. Could be your problem…

I noticed my sunroof was open yesterday. Last time I drove the car was Sunday morning and I did not use the sunroof. At some point between when I returned home on Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon the sunroof opened by itself. And now it won't close. The shade opens and closes (partially, it won't close fully with the glass open).

For it to have opened, it needed power. It is possible that either the switch or motor is defective. I believe the shade and glass partition motors are the same model so you could try swapping them to see if the moonroof will then operate. Unfortunately, no one in the thread has reported back on any resolution. The other option is to take it to the dealership or a garage to have it checked out.

Peter

The glass motor (driver side) had water in it. Swapped it with the shade motor (which was working) and got the glass almost all the way closed using the re learn or re initialization procedure then that motor stopped working. So close!

Thanks Peter
Yes please advise. It has happened 3 times in the last week. I can’t make it happen though. I’ve tried wiggling the key and sunroof switches with and without the key on and can’t seem to figure out what triggers it.
I have a bit of a different situation with my 2016x...i go out in the morning and the moonroof is fully open and i cannot close it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a bit of a different situation with my 2016x...i go out in the morning and the moonroof is fully open and i cannot close it.
Are you just trying to get it closed (short term "fix" so your car doesn't fill up with rain or snow)?
Does the shade still work?

This might help. Pretty much what I ended up doing, I just took the long way to get there.

Back