• Register Today It's free!

More Power for 4L SOHC?

dreamcargt

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
none
I have done a KKN air filter and a Jet power chip, and notice only a small increase in power. What else is out there?

I am thinking about headers and a new exhaust. I would like to find performance cams if they exist?

A blower is too much, but I should would like a way to find an extra 15-30 hp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can definitely gain power with a quality chip/program; lose that Jet thing and contact Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ), Doug will make power for you.

Good luck ....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT it

dreamcargt said:
I have done a KKN air filter and a Jet power chip, and notice only a small increase in power. What else is out there?

I am thinking about headers and a new exhaust. I would like to find performance cams if they exist?

A blower is too much, but I should would like a way to find an extra 15-30 hp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
30 RWHP is well in the realm of getting, some people have ways to do so :D

Ditch the Jet. Get a SCT Tunepr or chip. Exhaust is a good idea. Never seem much in the way of good press on the header front. Seems that it's a meaningless "upgrade" for the most part for the SOHC.

I've done the "big 3" upgrades (intake/chip/exhaust) and my '00 Sport (with SOHC) runs way better than stock. I don't have a clue how many extra HP gained. I don't really care.

This site is a great resource. Put the "search" function to good use and you should find lots of info on the upgrades you're considering.

Forget jet and get ahold of bamma chips. Doug is a great guy to talk to and very helpful.

A cat back should help you some too. I see one in my future.

celly said:
Ditch the Jet. Get a Superchip. Exhaust is a good idea. Never seem much in the way of good press on the header front. Seems that it's a meaningless "upgrade" for the most part for the SOHC.

I've done the "big 3" upgrades (intake/Superchip/exhaust) and my '00 Sport (with SOHC) runs way better than stock. I don't have a clue how many extra HP gained. I don't really care.

This site is a great resource. Put the "search" function to good use and you should find lots of info on the upgrades you're considering.
If I spent a grand on perf upgrades, I would like to know what I actually accomplished, but than again I do know exactilly what I did.
If I throw 300 bux into a perf mod, I wanna know what it did, JMHO

It would be nice to know (dyno results), but its not a big deal to some of us. I am like celly and would be happy to "feel" a difference, even if its perceived. I will only spend money on things I see others have done and liked their results.

I have never personally seen a dyno (just on TV). Thats what happens when you live 100 miles from nowhere. :(

How much HP does the bamachip add? is it worth the money?

Bama (aka Doug) is a programmer of SCT products. He does GREAT work. I use his torque 91 program and love it. I have 3 other programs (done by 3 different programmers including Bama), but this is the one I tend to go back to most often.

I think it's worth the $$$.

I will soon find out for myself. I am supposed to send him my flasher this next week. I can't believe how helpful he has been in answering my many dumb questions.

After that its the intake and exhaust I suppose.

Yup, intake and exhaust. Disconnect the hotair tube from the intake, or eliminate the stock intake. I modified mine so its bringing cold aire from under the engine.

Get exhaust headers... runs about 200 bucks.... decent torque increase.

Get a cat-back system. Series 50 works nice for me.

And superchips rocks :D

The chip also removes the speed limiter... changes your redline from stock 4200ish to around 5000ish... never over that really.

You also get a better shift pattern, youll notice that the most... nice and hard fast shifting, I love it. The a4ld runs much smoother with the chip.

Definitely worth the dough.

urbanistic said:
Yup, intake and exhaust. Disconnect the hotair tube from the intake, or eliminate the stock intake. I modified mine so its bringing cold aire from under the engine.

Get exhaust headers... runs about 200 bucks.... decent torque increase.

Get a cat-back system. Series 50 works nice for me.

I replaced the EGR valve. Do you mean that you disconnected the exhaust tub that connects to the EGR? Is that what you mean by disconnecting the hot air tube from the intake? How did you do this and what was the result?

Thanks.

Paul

Back