• Register Today It's free!

motor and/or trans swap

ultimatereality5

Reaction score
City, State
haverhill, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
i have a 96 explorer xlt 4.0 a/t 4x4 with 230,000 miles on it. the trans is starting to give me trouble. it takes a couple seconds to go between 2nd and 3rd gears and revs up in between that shift. the motor also has issues. some missing vaccum lines and whatnot. i also have a full 97 explorer sport 4.0 SOHC a/t 4x4 parts truck that i just got for free. i know that the motors and transmisions are different on both but could i swap the whole setup from the 97 into the 96?

I think you might be able to make it work if you swap engine, transmission, PCM and wiring harness. 96 did not have the SOHC or the 5R55E transmission (both were introduced in 97).

If you decide to do this, I strongly recommend checking the timing chain(s) and tensioners on the SOHC engine while you have the motor out of the truck. The early SOHC engines are notorious for issues with the timing chains and the intake o-rings. Search on 00M12 for more on this.

It should be a straight drop in but you will have to swap all the electrical components (PCU, ECU, harnesses)

Back